Retford: Dominant Badgers make it back-to-back league wins

Retford players celebrate Adam Lee's goal against Glasshoughton. Picture: Jon Knight
Retford players celebrate Adam Lee's goal against Glasshoughton. Picture: Jon Knight

Retford United made it back-to-back wins in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League as they beat Glasshoughton Welfare in difficult conditions.

Badgers boss Paul Ward named an unchanged side from the one that beat Nostell in their previous match and United dominated from the start with both Adam Lee and Liam Gaughan going close early on.

Despite the heavy pitch, the Badgers played some fine football and Jimmy Walker fired wide before a neat back-heel from Lee sent Josh Batty in to cross for Mark Hume to miss by inches.

David Buck then saw a goal-bound header deflected wide and when Hume did finally put the ball in the net, the assistant referee’s flag for a foul chalked off the goal.

Retford might have been forgiven for thinking it was going to be one of those days and frustrations began to get the better of both sides shortly before the break as an altercation between Craig Morley and Reagan Fish earned both players yellow cards before another flare-up, after Batty was fouled, had to be calmed down by the referee.

On the stroke of half-time, United finally made a deserved breakthrough when Walker’s corner was flicked on by Buck and Morley touched home his first goal for the club.

Daniel Barrett came close to an equaliser for Glasshoughton with a curling shot moments into the second half.

But then the pattern of Retford dominance resumed.

Batty had an effort saved before substitute Leigh Hutchinson almost scored with his first touch after coming on, his effort being tipped away by the Welfare keeper.

It was only a matter of time before the Badgers found the net again and the goal came on 72 minutes when Lee also got his first in Retford colours.

More chances followed, and the game was sewn up on 81 minutes when Hutchinson picked up the pieces to fire home after Batty’s shot had bobbled around in the area.

Batty was close to a fourth near the end but 3-0 was a more than satisfying win for the Badgers.

United are at home again to Thackley on Saturday (15th November) before travelling to Shirebook Town in the League Cup on Tuesday (18th November) and then the return league clash at Thackley on 22nd November.