Plucky Marshalls battle on with just nine men

Marshalls Cricket Club have thanked Elite Signs for providing the signage for the Hadyn Green Memorial Ground
Marshalls Cricket Club have thanked Elite Signs for providing the signage for the Hadyn Green Memorial Ground

Despite missing a dozen players, and fielding just nine, Marshalls put in a brave performance at Welbeck on Saturday in Bassetlaw Division Three.

The nine men did the club proud, at Welbeck’s first class facilities, taking on a side sitting in the top two.

Captain for the day Jack Senescall won the toss for the visiitors and elected to bat, with Snell and Favill opening up.

But as early as the third over Favill was caught behind for no runs.

This bought Barker in at the crease and together with Snell, but it was a short partnership, Barker returning to the pavilion after a superb ball from the Welbeck opening bowler.

Senescall, who was covering for the on-holiday skipper Lynton Karkach, joined Snell and both were enjoying the opportunity to express themselves with the bat.

A stand of 115 between the pair gave the young Marshalls side a start at having something to bowl at.

Senescall soon blasted his way to 76 before being caught behind.

Cameron Girven then came in, another youngster who has made excellent progress over the last 18 months.

A few overs later Snell was caught at long-off for a well made 36.

This gave Mark Raisborough Jnr (32) a chance to impress and that he did in his second season in senior cricket, producing a mature innings and along with Girven guided Marshalls to over 140 to collect some bonus points.

Girven (8) was then caught well by the short leg fielder.

Joe Raisborough (6) joined older brother Mark and pushed the score over 150 before Joe was stumped sharply by the Welbeck keeper.

Mark Raisborough Snr (0) made his first appearance for the club with the bat but was run out backing up by his eldest son.

Jim Girven (0) joined Raisborough Jnr at the crease but didnt trouble the scorers with Marshalls finishing on 155.

Marshalls then took the new ball with Senescall and Raisborough Jnr opening up.

Senescall bowled particularly well, taking two wickets before the tea interval and leaving the hosts 35-2 at the break.

After tea however the Welbeck captain made use of the open spaces in the field and guided his team home with only Snell joining Senescall in the wickets column, Welbeck winning with 157-3.

Despite the scoreline it was a terrific display from a mixed side who battled the opposition to the end.

Their superb team morale has been commented on by umpires and opponents alike in recent weeks.

Training continues on Friday evenings at the club between 6pm and 8pm.

Marshalls would also like to offer their thanks to Elite Signs for kindly donating the signage to rename the ground the Haydn Green Memorial Ground.