Maoris fail to make scoreline reflect their performance

Action from Gainsborough v Lincoln 2nds at Queen Elizabeth's High School.
Action from Gainsborough v Lincoln 2nds at Queen Elizabeth's High School.

Gainsborough Maoris were unable to make it two wins in two weeks over Market Rasen, despite putting in another strong performance on Saturday.

The Maoris could feel unlucky to return home with nothing, after a 27-5 defeat in which they played impressively.

When the game began was rather breezy and the ground was rather dry and very hard underfoot.

Gainsborough started the game strong, putting Rasen under intense pressure in their 22 and trying to force the home side into making a mistake.

Eventually the inevitable happened and Rasen conceded a penalty which Gainsborough chose to kick at the posts, and Maoris kicking king Parker stepped up, but sadly his effort marginally missed the upright.

Market Rasen found it very difficult to find a path through the Maoris tight back line, but eventually they went through on three occasions in the first half and went three scores ahead, although only one was converted.

Gainsborough Maoris were the better team by a country mile and the scoreline didnt depict this.

Rasen went into the half-time break in the lead at 17-0, though the Maoris should have been the ones in the driving seat.

The second half started well for Rasen as they added to their tally and scored an unconverted try.

Gainsborough came back strongly however, when Sean Parker produced a precise tactical kick into the path of Gainsborough winger Liam Flower who picked up the ball and ran into the huge space that was made and sprinted down the right wing to score a well worked try.

Unfortunatelyfor the visitors it was not converted.

Market Rasen then went onto score the final try of the match to win the game 27-5 and gain a measure of revenge on the Gainsborough side.

Gainsborough never gave up and produced some good tacking through the whole duration of the 80 minutes and worked the scrums perfectly.

They never gave up hope and kept on battling until the very end.

The Gainsborough Maoris Man of the Match award went to their flanker Casey O’Conner.