Gainsborough Maoris leave it late to beat Market Rasen and Louth

editorial image

A last minute try helped the Gainsborough Maoris to a 10-5 victory at home to Market Rasen and Louth on Saturday.

There was a cold breeze around Thonock with sunny intervals, for Gainsborough’s only game of the day, and this win delighted the big crowd that gathered on pitch side.

Gainsborough started the game well as the Maoris pinnned Rasen back in their own 22 throughout the majority of the first half.

Rasen were struggling to break the strong defensive layout of the home side and with this Gainsborough enjoyed the amount of ball possession they were allowed to play with.

Both teams had dominative spells over the whole match and both teams won their own scrums, Gainsborough won most of the line outs that were seen today.

Gainsborough used the territory that was gained by keeping Rasen at bay in their own 22 to their advantage, won a penalty which the Maoris opted to kick at goal and Sean Parker kicked successfully to put his side in the lead.

To add to Rasen’s woes, one of their players received a yellow card and went to the sin bin 15 minutes prior to the closure of the first half.

Gainsborough used the extra man advantage well for 10 minutes but were contained and before the interval Rasen returned to full strength and then the half time whistle was blown, with the scoreline standing at 3-0 to Gainsborough.

The second half got under away and Rasen started to battle back and pushed Gainsborough back into their 22.

Rasen managed to break through the home side’s tight back line and run in the first try of the game, but fortunately for the Maoris the conversion went marginally wide.

Through the whole duration of the match, Gainsborough produced some good tackling and Gainsborough’s pack created great scrummaging.

Playing a starring role and taking the Man of the Match award was Maoris captain Paul Hooton.

Gainsborough brought on Daniel Chadwick half way through the second half and this turned out to be a good decision as he ran through the Rasen defense and went on to score the match winning try.

Sean Parker with the last kick of the game converted it to ensure the Maoris finish on a high, after a string of poor results of late.

But still the Maoris determination and passion shows they can soldier on through the bad times and look forward to the good times.

This Saturday the Maoris face familiar foes, taking on Market Rasen and Louth yet again, this time away from home.

The league clash kicks off at 3pm.