All Blacks beaten on their travels

Gainsborough Standard Sport Logo, Rugby
Gainsborough Standard Sport Logo, Rugby
Share this article

Gainsborough All Blacks returned from their long trip to Sileby in Leicestershire defeate, despite a spirited performance.

The Lincolnshire side were beaten 33-17, despite going ahead inside the first five minutes with a Hymer-Bates try that Parkinson converted.

Sileby came back at the All Blacks, mainly through their forwards who proved to be the dominant force, grinding the visitors down.

The hosts scored three tries in the first half and also converted a try to amass 20 points before half-time.

Gainsborough did well against the well organised team but on the day training ground moves did not come off and the hosts had built up a good lead.

The All Blacks got a second wind, scoring a penalty and getting on top for a 20 minute spell.

But Sileby scored against the run of play.

Gainsborough grabbed a try of their own through Chadwick, converted by Parkinson.

Their efforts weren’t quite enough, Sileby bringing on fresh legs and scoring another try to earn the bonus point.

Gainsborough worked hard throughout the game, especially in defence, with credit going especially to the tight five who never gave up with two key players missing.

The All Blacks did not get the line-out ball they are used to and just couldn’t get on top.

Rick Marsh played very well on his debut and put in some excellent tackles.

This Saturday the All Blacks will be a taking a week off from competitive action to prepare for the last three league games of the season.

They’re hoping they can get back to winning ways and finish in the top four of the league.

Man Of the Match was Sam Bradford.

Gainsborough Maori had their first home fixture of 2014 against local rivals, Scunthorpe.

The first half of the match saw Scunthorpe scoring three tries, with one of them being converted

Scunthorpe had to work hard for their points as Gainsborough youths Liam Flower and Oscar Rollings both put in some good tackles and prevented more tries from occurring.

But the Greens pushed harder and scored the three tries that took them into the half time break 17-0 up.

The second half kicked off, Gainsborough turned the tables and formed their own attempt at a come back by defending any incoming threat from Scunthorpe, and piling pressure on the Scunthorpe try line .

Nick Ashton scored Gainsborough’s first try with Sean Parker converting.

Parker then went over for his third try in four games, to make it 22-14.

The comeback was on but a late Scunthorpe try killed off the Maori’s remaining hope, and the conversion was the last action of the game.

The referee blew the whistle for full-time with the scoreline 29-14 to Scunthorpe.

Man Of The Match was Oscar Rollings

The Maori are home against Hykeham III on Saturday.