Marshalls U12s return to action with narrow victory in Presidents’ Trophy

Marshalls Sports U12s who have just been donated a new kit by Williamsons Potatoes. G110115-1
Marshalls Sports U12s who have just been donated a new kit by Williamsons Potatoes. G110115-1

Scunthorpe Jack Kalson League

Marshalls Sports U12s 2, App-Frod Saints U11s 1

HAVING not kicked a ball in anger for eight weeks, Marshalls U12s overcame their younger Scunthorpe counterparts after a very tense second half to progress through to the second round of the U12 Presidents’ Trophy.

The first 10 minutes were easily forgettable, but having dominated the remainder of the opening half Sports were comfortable with a two-goal lead.

It could easily have been double figures much was Marshalls’ control, but rusty finishing and a faultless display from the heroic young visiting ’keeper allowed Saints a chance in the second half.

Donning the new strip kindly sponsored by Williamsons Potatoes, Sports lined up with captain Joe Pettit alongside Will Goddard, Tom Wood and Spencer Robson at the back. The energetic Ewan Miles was supported by top scorer Jack McMenemy with Aidan Clover, Declan Mulholland, Simon Hooton and Joe Tennyson across the midfield and Josh Johnson retaining the gloves in the home net.

Once Marshalls settled into some rhythm, they created chances aplenty in the first half with Miles denied four times by the brave Saints stopper, whilst the woodwork denied McMenemy, who also contrived to put the ball over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

The deadlock was broken by yet another Mulholland special as he volleyed a clearance over the stranded ’keeper from fully 35 yards.

The second soon followed after some fine interchanging between Mulholland and Wood, the former feeding Tennyson who beat his man to cross from the by-line to the back post for McMenemy to notch his 12th of the season.

Marshalls continued to dominate as they introduced substitutes Bradley Shaw, Daniel Fuentes, Sean Lawrence and Ben Williamson.

Marshalls seemed nervous at the start of the second half as their younger opponents grew in confidence, seeming determined not get beaten heavily, and they were rewarded for their positive attitude as a 20-yard free kick evaded the outstretched hands of Johnson to reduce the deficit.

The match really opened up in the final quarter as Marshalls continued to create without success as Miles, McMenemy, Clover, Shaw and Wood all had chances.

At the other end, Wood and Fuentes were involved in some desperate defending to protect their side from the extra time period. Time ran out for the gallant visitors as Marshalls held on to set up an clash away to Bottesford Falcons or Scotter Juniors this weekend.