Wounded Tigers are roaring back

Worksop Town v Chasetown.  Pictured Ash Burbeary (w110928-11g)
Worksop Town v Chasetown. Pictured Ash Burbeary (w110928-11g)

BEWARE a wounded Tiger.

Chasetown came to Sandy Lane expecting to face a struggling side – but they were met with something different altogether.

Worksop Town v Chasetown.  Worksop goal celebration (w110928-11f)

Worksop Town v Chasetown. Worksop goal celebration (w110928-11f)

Worksop came roaring back with their best performance of the season, tormenting their visitors with slick passing and clever movement.

Too quick, too aggressive – too good.

The hosts began well, Ben Turner – restored to the side after falling out of favour under the previous management – intercepted a pass in the middle and started a good move, before whipping in a cross that keeper Ryan Price claimed.

Massiah McDonald fizzed a shot at goal from outside the area and Price had to make a smart save.

Ben Jeavons headed Chasetown’s first attempt well over, getting up above Chris Wood.

A low cross into the Worksop box wasn’t claimed by Jon Worsnop and the keeper watched in relief as a clearance rebounded onto his post.

Tigers took the lead on 21 minutes as Duncum played the ball in to Ash Burbeary who took a lovely touch and fired home.

The referee brandished the yellow card to Joe Fox as the Worksop midfielder stopped Chasetown taking a quick free-kick, and the visitors’ Darren Stride was also carded for shoving Fox.

A lapse in concentration at the back allowed Chasetown striker Gary Birch to sneak in behind the defence, but he lofted the ball well over the bar.

Duncum’s cross from the right-wing fell to Fox and as he miskicked the ball looped up and was nodded over by Jackson.

Tigers should have doubled their lead in the first two minutes of the second half.

Hudson slid the perfect ball through for Wood to cross, and the full-back’s centre almost found Jackson a few yards out.

Hudson then sent a free-kick into the area and Roberts headed straight at the stopper.

Five minutes after the break the yellow card was out again, Chasetown’s Matthew Cohen booked for taking out Jackson.

Hudson drove forward and tested Price with a decent effort from the left, then McDonald was muscled out of possession by Cohen on the penalty spot.

The pressure told on 52 minutes however.

Another flowing move from the hosts brought an overlap on the left, Turner found Duncum and his cross was perfect for Burbeary to volley home his second.

More chances came for Worksop, who oozed confidence and streamed forward at every opportunity.

And they made it 3-0 with 16 minutes left in the game.

Hudson swung the ball out wide to an unmarked McDonald, he got to the byline and crossed to the middle for Jackson to finish from a couple of yards.

It was almost four when Jackson left Teesdale for dead, got in on goal and with three players lining up for a cut back, shot low – Price saving.

The visitors came close through replacement Theo Robinson striking the inside of Worsnop’s right hand post.

Chasetown spoiled Worsnop’s hopes of a clean sheet when Jordan Johnson jinked past two challenges and found the top corner.

The best goal of the game came on 84 minutes however.

Burbeary provided a sweet cross from the right, McDonald ran onto the ball and hit it first time from the left side of the box giving Price no chance.

The visitors hadn’t given up and David Bridgewater’s long range free-kick had to be tipped over by Worsnop.

In the final stages three of the star performers – Duncum, Jackson and Burbeary – were all withdrawn, Steve Gardner, Michael Whitwell and Danny Davidson entering the fray.

McDonald, who had run all night, tracked back well in the final minute to win the ball in his own half and fired it forward for Whitwell, but the striker put the ball past the post having gone clean through.