VIDEO: Gainsborough Trinity squeeze past Stamford in Lincolnshire Senior Cup, but duo limp off and semi-final details still unknown

Marc Newsham is helped from the pitch at Stamford
Marc Newsham is helped from the pitch at Stamford

Gainsborough Trinity progressed to the semi-final of the Lincolnshire Senior Cup on Tuesday night, squeezing past Stamford AFC thanks to penalties.

The Blues found themselves level at 1-1 after 90 minutes, before Simon Russell, Nathan Jarman and Matty Wilson found the net from the spot to book a final-four place against either Grimsby Town or Grantham.

Steve Housham was counting the cost though, with Marc Newsham and Danny Forrest limping out of the game.

The Lincolnshire FA were this morning unable to confirm the date of the Grimsby quarter-final, or the subsequent semi-final.

But Trinity, at least, know their involvement in the competition is not over.

It could have been, however.

Barring the first 10 minutes when the visitors to the Zeeco Stadium got off to a quick start, Stamford outplayed their opponents and a neutral would have been hard pressed to tell you which side where the higher league side.

Stamford took the lead in the first half through a perfectly placed header from Jon Challinor after a great cross from the right hand side by new signing David Bell.

However after the break referee Mr Smith awarded a harsh penalty against Tom Batchelor for a hand ball, and Russell made no mistake from the spot and the game went to a shootout.

Gainsborough opened the proceedings but Jamie Yeats skied his effort.

James Jepson failed to take the advantage, crashing the ball the crossbar.

Russell put the visitors ahead 1-0 and Stamford got themselves further into trouble when Bell also clipped his effort against the crossbar.

Jarman gave Trinity a 2-0 advantage and the Daniels’ frustrations grew as skipper Richard Jones, who had been mighty in defence against a quick and agile attack, saw his effort saved by Jan Budtz.

Darryn Stamp had a chance to win it for Gainsborough but he also hit the bar.

Jordan Neil, the youngest and least experienced of the Stamford squad, did what his seniors couldn’t and found the back of the net but Wilson was on hand to make it 3-1 and send Trinity through.

STAMFORD AFC: Richard Knight, Lewis Carr, Nathan Fox (Dalton Bettles), Cameron Powell (Ryan Robbins), Richard Jones, Tom Batchelor, Jon Challinor (Jordan Neil), James Jepson, Eddy Samba, Jordan Smith, David Bell. Subs unused: Elliott Bentley and David Staff.

GAINSBOROUGH: Jan Budtz, Dominic Roma, Josh Lacey, Charlie Binns, Matt Wilson, Jake Picton, Simon Russell, Danny Forrest (Liam Davis), Mark Newman (Darryn Stamp), Nathan Jarman, Jamie Yeats. Sub unused: Lynton Karkach