Trinity rescue a point with late Russell penalty

Gainsborough Trinity midfielder Simon Russell admits his side didn’t defend well after his late spot kick earned the Blues a 3-3 draw with Gloucester City.

Russell converted his seventh penalty of the season nine minutes from time to ensure a point for Trinity, who had been in front following a Jonathon Margetts brace.

“We get bored of saying it, but we have to look at whether we deserve to win games with some of the goals we give away” said Russell.

Trinity lost talisman Dominic Roma to a hamstring strain to add to the injury to Greg Young that saw the Blues backline have an unfamiliar look.

“In the end, we’ve done well given the fact we only have Callum Howe that’s played regularly at this level. We’ve battled to to stay in the game and get a point.”

“It’s the kind of game we’d have lost earlier in the season.”

With the inexperienced back four looking shaky early on, it took the visitors just seven minutes to get on the scoreboard.

After a corner was only partially cleared, Lewis Hogg played a delicate lob back over Dominic Roma and Callum Howe in the centre of defence that was latched onto by Charlie Griffin, who dinked the ball past Phil Barnes to open the scores.

The lead didn’t last long though, and the in-form Margetts was the one to restore parity.

Smart work from Jamie Wootton earned the Blues a corner, Jonathan Williams put in a pinpoint ball to the near post which was attacked by Margetts and Howe – the Hull City loanee getting the final touch to level the scores.

It didn’t stay that way for long however, with Trinity’s new counter attacking verve in full display as Margetts doubles his – and his side’s – tally.

In a move that moved from Barnes’ goal kick to the back of the net in mere seconds, the Blues swept forwards and Margetrtts found himself one on one with Mike Green, finishing with aplomb from 15 yards.

The bumper crowd at the Northolme were being treated to a feast of attacking football, but it was a defensive error that saw the visitors level.

A hopeful ball pumped up from the Tigers’ midfield seemed easy for Howe to deal with, but the young defender misjudged his header, allowing Connor Walden to nod past Barnes to make it 2-2 after just 23 minutes.

After a mad start, the game settled and went into the break with the scores level, only for the second half to start much as the first did.

Ruairdh Winters’ 47th minutes cross evaded everybody in the Trinity box, eventually dropping for Jordan Goddard to finish powerfully and give the visitors the lead for the second time.

Seeking the goal that would get the Blues back into the game, Steve Housham changed both wingers, bringing on Caine Winfarrah and Ash Burbeary to replace Wootton and the ineffective Liam Davis and instantly freshening his side’s attacking outlook.

Margetts forced a good low save from Green just after the hour mark, and the Blues continued to pressure and look for a third.

Just when it seemed that Trinity may be consigned to defeat, that man Margetts twisted and turned in the Gloucester box before being felled by the clumsy Matt Coupe.

Russell stepped up and netted his seventh straight spot kick, securing the Blues a deserved point.

Trinity: Barnes, Roma (Martin 33), Leary, Davis (Winfarrah 61), Howe, Davie, Russell, Williams, Wootton (Burbeary 58), Margetts, Bateson

Subs: Batty, Lacey,

Gloucester: M.Green, M.Green, Jones, Coupe, Winters, Waldon (Parker 66), Hogg, Goddard, Mann, Griffin, Gosling (Hanks 76)

Subs: Giglio, Webb, Rose

Goals: Griffin (7) Margetts (13, 16) Waldon (23) Goddard (47) Russell (81 PEN)


Referee: Mr A Greenwood

Attendance: 460