Trinity pick up vital point and frustrate Conference North title hopefuls Fylde

Gainsborough Trinity V AFC Fylde. NGAS 28-3-15 Trinity, Liam Davis.
Gainsborough Trinity V AFC Fylde. NGAS 28-3-15 Trinity, Liam Davis.

Gainsborough Trinity picked up what could be a vital point, from the visit of high flying AFC Fylde on Saturday.

It was never going to be a footballing spectacle, a strong wind causing problems for two teams desperate for points.

The Blues were fighting for points which would ensure survival, whilst AFC Fylde knew they needed every point to keep the pressure on Barrow at the top of the table, in their bid to win automatic promotion.

Trinity were without the ill Cliff Byrne, Jake Picton returning alongside Adam Quinn in the centre of the defence.

In the opening minutes Trinity took the game to their opponents and it was clear Steve Housham had got his team fired up.

Paul Beesley had the Fylde keeper at full stretch with a powerful shot.

It was soon apparent that whenever Fylde broke they had been told to shoot on sight to take advantage of the wind.

In the eighth minute Rory Watson in the Trinity goal was fortunate to have his body behind an awkward long shot which the wind took; the ball rebounding to safety.

The wind was so strong that Fylde’s long goal kicks often had to be controlled by Watson.

The long balls Fylde were putting into the box allowed Adam Quinn to use his experience, strength and positioning to nullify every attack and it was no surprise he was later awarded the Man of the Match award.

It was not until the 38th minute that Fylde got their first corner from which they nearly took the lead when a header against the bar bounced down and out.

Later on the woodwork was hit again but Trinity were holding on.

Trinity were unlucky not to score when a long ball was headed on by Beesley for Steve Brogan to head just over the bar.

The second half started with the wind now in Trinity’s favour and it showed when a long curling cross from Simon Russell just eluded Liam Davis.

The pressure was now mounting on the Trinity defence and Quinn produced a brave diving header to clear the ball, before Josh Lacey made a vital intervention to prevent a goal.

The match was becoming increasingly agonising for the majority of the 432 spectators who began to think Fylde must surely get that lucky break, but it was not to be and Trinity, after a brave save by Watson at the feet on an attacker, were still able to mount counter attacks.

One from substitute and newcomer Chris Hamilton on loan from Sheffield United, saw him use skill and speed to break away and screw the ball across the goal which just eluded his fellow attackers.

Ciaran Toner then shot wide.

There were smiles on the faces of the Trinity manager, players, directors and fans as the final whistle blew for a hard earned point from a match which many thought would be one-step too far for the hosts.

There have been occasions this season when many felt Trinity players had let themselves down in some of the poor performances, but on Saturday every player could stand proud at a job well done.

Gainsborough Trinity: Watson, Roma ©, Lacey, Binns (Toner 85), Quinn, Picton, Russell, Davis, Beesley, Brogan (Hamilton 80), Yates (Davie 62).

Subs not used: Stamp, Salt.