Trinity fightback from two goals down to claim victory over Tamworth

Matty Templeton
Matty Templeton

Gainsborough Trinity produced a magnificent comeback to win from two goals down at the Martin and Co Arena.

The Blues had dominated the first half and were sucker-punched twice in three minutes by Tamworth.

Gainsborough manager Dom Roma

Gainsborough manager Dom Roma

Jordan Thewlis was the architect of the renaissance, pulling a goal back on half time before setting up the equaliser for Nathan Jarman and the winner for debutant Matt Templeton.

That made it four straight games in which Thewlis had notched for Trinity and thirteen points from the last fifteen available at home for the Blues.

New signing Matt Sparrow went straight into the starting lineup for the visit of the Lambs, with the veteran coming in for Alex Wiles.

Templeton, who came in on loan from Barnsley in the week, started on the bench.

Trinity started confidently after their week’s rest and looked up for the fight, with Ioan Evans being dominant in the air in the opening stages.

The visitors seemed to set up to take their chance on the break and they carved out the first opening doing so. Louis Briscoe curled a shot on goal from the edge of the box and George Willis, on his home debut between the sticks for Trinity, saved confidently.

Few chances were being fashioned and the Blues first effort came from a stinging Jarman half volley which James Belshaw managed to turn wide for a corner.

The whole half turned on its head for the last five minutes, with the Lambs scoring twice in three minutes.

A swift counter from Tamworth ended with Danny Newton finding the net from a deep Steph Morley cross.

To make matters worse the Blues were then two down. Louis Briscoe took advantage of a sleepy back line who were not aware of the short corner, allowing Briscoe to drill home in acres of space from the 18 yard line.

Gainsborough did manage to rescue a goal before the break with a James Reid free kick powered home by Thewlis.

The Blues did not look like a side rejuvenated from scoring seconds before half time and the visitors should have gone further in front five minutes into the half.

Newton burst through from a swift Tamworth counter, one one one with Willis, who guessed right and produced an excellent save.

Those two battled it out again a few minutes later, with Willis again coming out on top, showing superb reflexes to turn a Newton header wide.

Trinity made the Lambs pay for their missed opportunities and shortly beyond the hour they levelled.

Reid played Thewlis in behind the defence and he turned his man, dinked a ball to the far post where Jarman took a touch and smashed home.

The goal was the injection the Blues were looking for and following susbtitutions, Trinity took the lead.

Thewlis was the architect once more, splitting the Tamworth defence with a reverse pass for Templeton on his debut. The Tykes loanee faked to shoot on his right before sweeping home expertly with his left to turn the game on it’s head.

The visitors brought manager Andy Morrell on to change their fortunes but it resulted in minimal fuss for the Trinity backline.

Jarman had the best chance to extend the Gainsborough lead, drilling a left foot shot across the face of goal which Belshaw did well to save.

Trinity: Willis, Lacey, Beatson, Sparrow, Evans (Quinn 70), Picton, Reid (Wiles 64), Thornhill, Worsfold (Templeton 64), Jarman, Thewlis. Subs (not used): Hands, Roma.

Tamworth: Belshaw, Burns, Morley, Deeney, Jones, Lane, Briscoe (Mills 79), Green, Newton, Dyer (Morrell 79), Davies (Taylor 87). Subs (not used): Tomassen, Ezewele.

Referee: Martin Woods (Lancashire).

Attendance: 538.