Town men beaten by title favourites


Gainsborough Town 3

Skegness Town 4

GAINSBOROUGH were unable to make it three wins in a row, as early title favourites Skegness pipped them.

As usual Town started brightly playing the ball around and it wasn’t long before Hutchinson had a header brilliantly tipped onto the bar.

Gainsborough took the lead in the 29th minute when Joe Owen won the ball and laid it off to the marauding Andrews who calmly slotted past the keeper.

The lead didn’t last long as a set-piece unlocked the Town defence, Joby Gowshall firing home in the 36th minute.

Town went behind in the 40th minute when Ben Davidson converted from a ball over the static back three.

A quarter of an hour had passed in the second half when Gainsborough were handed a lifeline, winning a penalty for handball.

But the usually reliable Nichol put wide from 12 yards and the chance went begging.

Minutes later John Anderson was brought on to shore up the defence, Owen making way with Lill moving to left wing back and Robinson to the right.

Anderson’s first touch will be one he will want to forget as a free-kick was played in and went into his own net off his head to make it 3-1 to Skegness Town.

Two minutes later it went from bad to worse as Nichol made a late challenge on a Skegness Town player and was shown a straight red.

Down to 10 men and 3-1 down, Town had to drag themselves back into the game and did so when Bognar latched onto a through ball and slotted past the onrushing keeper to register his first goal of the season.

Lill was shown the yellow after a 50/50 ball with the keeper bounced up and he caught him with a high foot.

The game was getting very scrappy and was on the verge of boiling over with some rough tackles going in, and just when Town were getting back into it, Daniel Reid made the scoreline 4-2 to Skegness.

Town replied in the 81st minute when Lill cut inside tw defenders and slammed it home for his sixth of the season.

Andrews was booked for yet another late challenge on a Skegness player, and Gainsborough nearly made it 4-4 when Hutchinson crossed for Lill who headed goalbound but the keeper was on hand to palm away.

Gainsborough will feel aggrieved to have dominated again and come away with nothing.

They play midweek against in-form side Nettleham who have won their first four.

Man of the Match was awarded to Geno Robinson.