Tigers throw away yet another two goal lead

Worksop Town v Rushall Olympic'Second goal slotted home
Worksop Town v Rushall Olympic'Second goal slotted home

Worksop Town raised the white flag of surrender in the second half on Wednesday – as they yet again threw away a two goal lead.

The disappointing defeat, their 13th in 33 league games, hasn’t mathematically ended their play-off hopes, but neither has it done them any favours.

The problem was, as it has been in previous outings, an inability to stand up to any kind of pressure.

And an abject failure to defend set pieces didn’t help.

On a freezing evening Tigers almost got caught cold in the second minute, Dave Walker sprinting down the left and crossing for dangerman Ahmed Obeng, Cecil Nyoni nipping in with a vital touch.

Lining up in an unfamiliar 4-1-3-2 formation, it took Tigers 20 minutes to put any real pressure on the visitors.

Worksop grew into the game however, and on 28 minutes went ahead.

A lovely move that swept from left to right culminated in Ryan Clarke slipping the ball to Leon Mettam, the striker crossing to the back post for Tom Denton and his header down was slammed into the net by Steve Towers.

Left-back Phil Roe’s evening lasted just 36 minutes, as he trudged off injured, to be replaced by Lee Potts.

On 40 minutes it was 2-0 and Tigers were coasting.

Burbeary flicked the ball into the box, Mettam got in and crossed to the back post and Denton was there again, this time hooking it home.

The second half was nothing short of a horror show.

It began with two good chances, Mettam denied in the box by a block, and Burbeary by last ditch defending.

But when a Rushall corner was sent into the near post, Walker was there to glance the ball past Bastock and bring the Pics right back into it.

Suddenly Worksop were under immense pressure, and after retereating deeper an d deeper into their own half, they simply folded.

Tigers had just made their final change, Ash Jackson coming on for Mettam, when Rushall equalised.

Craig King gave away a silly free-kick in the corner, the ball went to the far post and Gavin Caines headed home.

Two minutes later, Rushall repeated the trick.

A free-kick was pumped into the box, headed back across goal and Walker finished it off to complete the comeback.

Worksop huffed and puffed looking for the kind of possession that would lead to a leveller, and on 90 minutes it should have arrived.

Potts nodded down King’s cross for Denton, unmarked, four yards out, and he hit the bar.

At full-time the men in yellow trudged off with an all too familiar feeling.