Steve Housham full of praise as Gainbsorough Trinity defeat AFC Telford United

Nicholas Bignall celebrates with Nathan Jarman after doubling Trinity's lead. Pic by Rob Hughes.
Nicholas Bignall celebrates with Nathan Jarman after doubling Trinity's lead. Pic by Rob Hughes.

Gainsborough Trinity boss Steve Housham praised his players after they recorded their first ever victory over AFC Telford United at the New Bucks Head.

Nathan Jarman put the visitors in front on five minutes, before Nicholas Bignall doubled Trinity’s lead on 32 minutes.

Jarman then turned from hero to villain on 39 minutes, when he saw red for a flailing arm in a tussle with Telford centre back Mark Lees.

Trinity held out though, rarely being troubled despite being a man dowm for more than 50 minutes.

Housham said: “The lads have run through brick walls today. When it was Eleven versus eleven we matched them and deservedly went 2-0 up.

“From my point of view, it was a harsh decision on Nathan Jarman, but after that the lads were fantastic.”

“We’re slowly getting everyone back and fit now, and should have everyone in tiptop condition for Boston on Saturday, so hopefully we will get over a 1,000 through the gate and kick on from there.

“We have set our standards very high here, everyone was superb.”

Trinity in their ‘volt’ away shirt, to a man put in a performance to be proud of, casting aside a lackluster Telford side at rock bottom.

Inside the opening five minutes Trinity had threatened before Jarman rode the offside track and in acres of space rolled the ball into Montgomery’s left hand corner.

Playing some fantastic one and two touch football, Trinity threatened to slice the hosts open at every avenue and they deservedly got their second when Nicholas Bignall raced through the heart of the Telford centre and finished to give ‘the blues’ a two-goal cushion

Soon after conceding the second, the Telford response was to withdraw their on loan front man Bakayoko, replacing him with left back Brownhill. This decision was greeted with derision from large pockets of the home support but the change almost had an immediate impact, Issac Reid going close for the home side, drifting in from his right wing berth before firing a left foot effort into the side netting.

Reid was again the most likely to create, this time his left footed effort after cutting in from the right was straight at Budtz in the Trinity goal.

The second half started brightly with the Trinity wing duo combining, Jamie Yates tormenting his opposing full back and teasing over a deep cross to Liam Davis who’s first time volley rippled the side netting.

Substitute Brownhill stung the palms of Budtz having cut in from the left, but pressure was quickly eradicated, the subsequent corner cleared with ease.

Yates went close to extending Trinity’s lead, but scuffed his effort at Montgomery.

Soon after saw Marc Newsham replacing Bignall who had ran both channels tirelessly. Newsham making his competitive debut. It took him only a matter of minutes for his first chance. Threaded through by the tenacious Charlie Binns.

Resolute defending from Trinity saw the game out, restricting the hosts to a couple of long range efforts, with Budtz a virtual spectator for long periods.

Telford: Montgomery, Brizzle (Gorman, 74), Clancy (Roberts, 69), Fletcher, Deaman, Lees, Reid, Rea, Bakayoko (Brownhill, 36), Glover, Anderson.

Subs not used: Harrison, Springthorpe.

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma, Lacey, Binns, Quinn, Picton, D’Laryea, Davis, Bignall (Newsham, 68), Jarman, Yates (Forest, 86). Subs not used: Stamp, Rigby, Karkach.

Trinity Man of the Match: Charlie Binns.

Attendance 1,109.

Referee: Michael D’Aguilar.