Steve Housham delighted as Gainsborough Trinity beat Boston United

editorial image

Gainsborough boss Steve Housham felt his side deserved their 1-0 win over Boston

Trinity secured their first home win over Boston in 20 years as a second half Nick Bignall goal secured all three points for the Blues in an entertaining Lincolnshire Derby.

Bignall took advantage of a goalkeeping error to roll the ball into an empty net to get his name on the scoresheet for the third straight game.

Pilgrims keeper Henrich Ravas, who was excellent up until this point, found himself in no man’s land following a long punt upfield and the former Reading striker managed to score after having the initial lob saved.

Housham said: “I loved it. I thought it was what we deserved barring a 15 minute spell in the first half where they were on top a wee bit. We held out and I think Jan only made one save all game.”

“Albeit for their keeper, who pulled off a worldy from Jarman and saved from Liam Davis before half time, he kept them in the game.”

“Credit to my lads, I thought they were superb and there were two good strikers on there today, Nick Bignall and Nathan Jarman.”

Housham has been pleased with the way Bignall has settled in at the club since arriving in the summer.

He said: “He works his socks off, he was nearly crawling off the pitch at the end there.”

“Him and Jarmo are starting a nice little partnership together, as you can see with the little touches around the corner.”

“I felt sorry for not putting Newsham on for longer, but you couldn’t change anything in that game.”

During the game you felt an individual error or a bit of luck could alter the game completely and fortunately it fell to Trinity.

In a competitive and at times feisty match, a single goal always looked to be enough, especially with the form of both goalkeepers throughout.

Trinity, who named the same eleven that defeated Telford, started the brighter and in the seventh minute, they had the first real chance of the game.

An excellent diagonal ball from Nathan Jarman was controlled on the chest by Bignall, who let the ball bounce and before striking it wide.

Soon after it was Jamie Yates’ turn to have a go at the Pilgrims goal. The former Boston midfielder found himself in space on the edge of the box and a left foot hit drifted easily by the post.

Boston started to assert themselves, especially down the flanks.

Captain Dominic Roma almost gave United some help as he cleared a dangerous cross over his own crossbar from inside the six yard box.

Minutes later Jordan Deacey escaped to the byeline and cut the ball back for Jay Rollins on the penalty spot. Rollins was in acres of space but leant back when striking the ball and it comfortably cleared the bar.

Both teams were attacking with vigour and former Blue Grant Roberts found himself in space in the box and his fierce shot was saved strongly by Jan Budtz.

Up the other end Trinity had their best effort of the game.

Jarman earned himself a bit of space 25 yards from goal and hit a terrific strike which looked bound for the top corner until Henrich Ravas’ fingertips turned the ball out for a corner.

From a Boston free kick, Ravas was called into action on the stroke of half time.

The ball was cleared and Bignall powered down the left all the way to the Boston box, cut it back for Liam Davis and his flicked touch was saved by Ravas.

At half time, Gainsborough had to replace Adam Quinn, who went to hospital with a facial injury, with midfielder Stephen Brogan as there were no defenders on the bench.

This caused a resuffle, with Brogan at left back, Josh Lacey on the right and Roma into the centre.

Trinity started cautiously after this and Jarman waited 13 minutes to register the first attempt of the second half with a shot that stung the palms of Ravas.

Boston responded with Dayle Southwell heading against the bar from a corner.

The Blues manufactured a decent chance of their own when Liam Davis created a chance through a slick move with Jarman and after a clever turn, got a shot in on goal.

That was a warning for Boston as a minute later Trinity took the lead.

A long ball over the defence caught Ravas in two minds. Whilst mulling it over, Bignall raced onto it and lobbed the keeper. Despite saving the initial effort, Ravas managed to parry the ball into the path of Bignall who had an open goal at his mercy and the former Reading striker coolly rolled the ball into the back of the net.

The Pilgrims responded by putting two strikers on for two midfielders but this gave little joy in way of chances and Trinity eased to a first home victory over their county rivals since 1996.

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma, Lacey, Binns, Quinn (Brogan 45), Picton, Davis, D’Laryea, Bignall, Jarman (Newsham 90), Yates (Forrest 75). Subs (Not used): Stamp, Rigby.

Boston United: Ravas, Marrs, Garner, Stone, Deen-Conteh (Dowie 48), Deacey (Friend 77), Dixon (Johnson 77), Roberts, Rollins, Southwell, Jones. Subs (not used): Limb, Alexander.

Goalscorers: Bignall 66.

Bookings: Marrs, Dowie.

Referee: Mr B Cooke. Assistants: Mr R Dadley, Mr R Cairns.

Attendance: 864.