Stamp’s late double resurrects a point for Trinity on Easter Monday

Action from Gainsborough Trinity v Gloucester at the Northolme. Trinity player Liam Davis pictured.
Action from Gainsborough Trinity v Gloucester at the Northolme. Trinity player Liam Davis pictured.

Darryn Stamp was the hero as Gainsborough Trinity came from two goals down to snatch a point against Gloucester City.

Stamp turned home a Jamie Yates cut back in injury time to send the Martin and Co Arena into raptures.

It all looked bleak for Trinity with 15 minutes left as Adam Quinn limped off with a calf injury with all substitutes used.

However, a looping Stamp header three minutes from time was the spark to grab the point which the Blues deserved.

It was a poor game in all honesty, against a team prepared to waste time from the offset.

Gainsborough looked disjointed throughout as the extra game in the week, on a heavy pitch, had clearly taken it’s toll on the squad.

Manager Steve Housham freshened up the midfield for the game, as three offensive midfielders came in from the Tamworth victory.

It all started horribly though for the Blues as they found themselves behind within five minutes.

Gloucester striker Nick Wright found himself in acres of space in the box and scuffed the ball into the back of the net to give the Tigers something to defend.

And that is what they did and very convincingly for the next 82 minutes.

It was an almost exact role reversal from the Tamworth game but with a lot less quality on show.

Gainsborough’s best chance of the half was from a Dominic Roma cross-cum-shot which forced the City goalkeeper to back pedal and tip over the bar.

The dry and bobbly pitch did not help matters and within two minutes of the second half Wright volleyed the visitors further in front.

Drastic changes had to be made and by the 66th minute all substitutions had been used, so when central defender Quinn pulled up injured chasing a ball over the top, it looked like the writing was on the wall.

Up stepped the veteran Stamp to prove everyone wrong however, and head the Blues back into the game from a Rory Watson free-kick on the halfway line.

It was set up for a Grandstand finish and that is what the crowd got as Stamp turned home a Yates pass to snatch a point.

Gainsborough Trinity: Watson, Roma (c), Lacey, Binns (Beesley 55), Quinn, Picton, Russell, Byrne, Davie (Yates 58), Hamilton (Stamp 66), Davis. Subs (not used): Brogan, Forrest.

Goalscorers: Stamp 87, 90.

Yellow Cards: Picton

Gloucester City: White, Green, Jones, M Williams, Avery, Connolly, Bolen, Webb (c), Wright (White 82), H Williams (Modest 88), Orenuga (Knowles 77). Subs (not used): Staley, Rivers.

Goalscorers: Wright 5, 47.

Yellow Cards: Orenuga.

Referee: Mr R Wooton.

Assistants: Mr A Bannister, Mr M Connell.

Attendance: 501.