On loan Hull striker finds his scoring boots for Blues

Gainsborough Trinity striker Jonathon Margetts says he’s delighted to have found his scoring boots after netting the decisive goal in the Blues’ 3-1 victory over Hednesford Town on Saturday.

The Hull City loanee scored twice to wrap up a superb away win for Trinity, and says that he’s feeling in good form as the side hit a crucial run of games

“The three points is the main thing,” said the forward, “hopefully we can get on a good run now, and it’s always good to get the two goals.”

“I’m loving it here. It’s always good to get games. It’s a big change from reserve team football where you play once every couple of weeks – it’s about finding form in a short space of time.”

The home side – challenging for promotion from Skrill North – actually had the lion’s share of possession in the early exchanges, but rarely threatened the Trinity goal – Neil Harvey going the closest with a header that was easily saved by Phil Barnes on 14 minutes.

At the other end, the Blues’ three man front line of Jamie Wootton, Margetts and debutant Bateson chased and hassled the Pitmen’s defence when called upon, and their persistence was to pay off on 24 minutes.

Ciaran Toner floated an innocuous looking free-kick into the box, only for goalkeeper Dan Crane to fluff his catch in the presence of Margetts, allowing Bateson to poke the ball into an unguarded net from the edge of the area.

The goal proved to be real spark for the young forwards, and the lead was very nearly doubled after an attacking move encompassing all three swept into the box, only for Crane to produce a full length stop to deny Wootton.

For all their dominance after the opening strike, Trinity failed to find the killer touch in front of goal, and were punished on the stroke of half time.

With confusion between Dominic Roma and Barnes inside the six yard box, the ball fell to Harvey, who bundled the ball into the net after a scramble to level the scores at the break.

The second half saw the home side regain the foothold they had early in the game, and twice went close through substitute Nathan Woolfe – Barnes having to be at his best to save the midfielder’s low free kick.

The Blues introduced Ash Burbeary in a move to regain the dominance they showed before the break, but the winger struggled to have an impact, the game becoming more direct as both sides tired on a heavy pitch.

It looked like it would take something special from either side to find a decisive goal, and it was Toner that stepped up to produce it for the Blues.

With a free kick in front of the Trinity dugout, the Northern Irishman played a perfect cross-field ball into the far side of the Hednesford box, which has met in stride by Margetts to finish coolly and give his side the lead.

Pitmen substitute Charlie Anagho-Ntamark looked the home side’s best outlet to provide the equaliser, but Greg Young and Callum Howe were more than equal to anything that was thrown their way.

With Hednesford throwing everything forward, a third goal for the Blues was always on the cards, and a rapid break provided Margetts with a one-on-one with Crane that he never looked like missing, securing the all three points with three minutes to go.

Trinity: Barnes, Roma, Leary, Davis (Burbeary 59), Howe, Young, Russell, Toner, Wootton (Davie 67), Margetts, Bateson

Subs: Williams, Winfarrah, Batty

Hednesford: Crane, Disney, Campion, Bailey, Francis (Anagho-Ntamark 36), McCone, Osborne, Melbourne (Woolfe 40), Harvey, Sullivan, Thorley

Subs: Robinson, Thompson-Brown, Lennon

Goals: Bateson (24), Harvey (45), Margetts (69)

Yellow: Melbourne (38), Barnes (88)

Attendance: 556

Referee: Mr P Graham