More misery for the Blues

Share this article

GAINSBOROUGH Trinity’s miserable season was summed up by the manner of Saturday’s defeat, according to boss Brian Little.

An own-goal by the unfortunate Luke Waterfall proved decisive as the Blues slipped to a fourth straight defeat at home to Hinckley United.

But Little told the Standard afterwards his team were undone by the ‘flukiest’ goal he has ever seen.

“It is such a jammy goal that it’s untrue really,” he said.

“A bad shot takes a wicket deflection off one of our players and rolls into net. It was one of the flukiest goals I’ve ever seen, which just about sums everything up really.”

“I thought we were unlucky to lose what was a fairly even game. They posed a little more threat in the final third, but we defended really well.”

“I thought they were also quite resilient and couldn’t really see us breaking them down, but the goal has seen the game go their way.”

Trinity had an effort saved on line in the seventh minute when Andrew Boyce’s near-post header from a corner was parried by visiting keeper Ian Deakin.

James Reid dragged a low shot wide and tested Phil Barnes with a 30-yard strike as United began to create openings.

It took an excellent point-blank save by Barnes to stop Cyrus Christine from giving Hinckley the lead, when he headed on goal from a corner.

However, Gainsborough too might have scored had Neal Spafford’s ball into the area reached an unmarked Ryan Kendall rather than the outstretched hand of Deakin.

At the other end, Barnes had a lucky escape when he was forced to tip over after a ball in bounced wickedly off the surface and almost caught him out.

The Blues though were not so fortunate in the 55th-minute when Sam Belcher’s miss-hit shot from Christine’s low cross took a defection off Waterfall and rolled in.

Gainsborough fought back with Leon Mettam swinging an effort into the side-netting and Kendall firing wide as the game entered the final quarter.

Mark Robinson almost marked his return to Trinity with a goal, but Deakin tipped over his near-post cross which looked to be creeping in.

Kendall just missed the target in the closing stages as Trinity threw men forward in search of a late equaliser. Hinckley though held out.

Gainsborough Trinity: Barnes, Spafford, Peat, Cowan, Waterfall, Boyce, Davies (Greaves 70), R Williams, Kendall, Mettam, Robinson. Not used: Clarke, D Williams, Aiston, Ward.

Hinckley United: Deakin, Christine, Giddlings (Gudger 12), Gooding, Bains, Hooman, Kerry, Belcher, Richetts, Clark (Newton 88), Reid. Not used: Gray, Mace, Dozie.

Referee: Ricky Wootton

Attendance: 345

Yellows: Mettam 41mins, Peat 89mins; Bains 83mins

Scorer: Luke Waterfall OG 55mins

MOM: Cyrus Christine