Housham slams ref after derby defeat

Gainsborough Trinity manager Steve Housham slammed the referee after his side’s 2-0 New Year’s Day defeat to North Ferriby United.

The official missed what Housham described as a “blatant elbow” by Danny Hone on Darryn Stamp just nine minutes into the game, allowing the former Trinity defender to stay on the pitch and score his side’s opening goal.

“I can’t understand how the referee’s not seen it. Darryn’s been left with an egg on his head and the referee has done nothing about it.” said Housham.

“To see him laughing and joking as he comes off the field wasn’t on, I’ve not shook his hand and that’s why.”

“Hone’s gone on to score the goal that’s given them the lead just before half time.”

“The second goal was from our mistake which I can deal with, but he shouldn’t have been on the field.”

The incident got the game off to a fiery start, with Stamp suffering a nasty knock to the head that enraged his Trinity teammates.

With tempers flaring and several pockets of pushing and shoving breaking out in the aftermath, Mr Sharp not only cleared Hone of any responsibility, but bizarrely gave Stamp a warning for dissent.

Following that, the game settled into a similar rhythm to the abandoned Boxing Day clash between the two sides, with neither team taking charge in the early proceedings.

However, the Villagers grew into the game as the half progressed, and should have taken the lead.

A lofted cross from Danny Clarke held up in the wind, allowing Antony Wilson to drift away from his markers for a free header on goal, only to put the ball into the allotments behind the visitors’ net.

Although Trinity created some attractive football, they struggled in getting the ball out to wide men Liam Davis and Alistair Taylor – re-signed from Alfreton Town earlier in the week.

After Taylor had a good shot saved, the visitors stepped up a gear and got the opening goal just before the break.

From a Jamie Yates corner, Hone rose high above the Trinity backline to glance his header across the face of goal and beyond Phil Barnes.

With few attacking options on the bench, Housham’s hand was forced in keeping a similar shape for the second half, and his side struggled to get into the game.

With an hour gone, the home side doubled their advantage with a swift counter attack that saw Nathan Jarman dodge the Trinity offside trap.

Greg Young and Callum Howe – so impressive in recent outings – held their line fractionally too high, and the prolific striker broke free down the right to cross for the waiting Wilson.

In diving to prevent the striker from scoring a tap-in, Howe put the ball in his own net to all but end the game as a contest.

Housham introduced a fit again Michael Leary and youngster Lynton Karkach to attempt to inject some life into his side’s performance, but they couldn’t create the chance to get their team back in the game, leaving the Blues’ boss wondering what might have been had the referee dismissed Hone.

Trinity: Barnes, Lacey, Wilde, Young, Howe, Toner, Russell, Williams, Davis (Leary 61), Taylor (Karkach 86), Stamp

Subs: Emery, Martin, Batty.

NFU: Nicklin, Robson (Lisles 12), Peat, King (D’Laryea 46), Anderson, Hone, Clarke, Fry, Wilson (Kendall 81), Jarman, Yates

Subs: Pecora, Clayton.

Yellows: Stamp 61.

Goals: Hone 43, Howe OG, 60.

Attendance: 374.

Referee: Mr N. Sharp.