Housham shoulders the blame as Blues lose out

Gainsborough Standard Sport Logo, Gainsborough Trinity
Gainsborough Standard Sport Logo, Gainsborough Trinity

Gainsborough boss Steve Housham shouldered the blame as Trinity suffered their first home defeat of the season against Worcester.

Two goals at either end of the first half were enough in the end to see off a Trinity side which had been in good form of late.

The Blues started with the same line up and formation as in the 4-1 hammering of Farsley last Saturday and he believed maintaining this XI was the downfall.

After the game Housham said: “The formation, I don’t think it worked.”

“We were getting overrun and we were lucky to only go in 2-0 down at half-time.”

“The first half was disappointing but I will take the blame for that.”

“At times it did not look like we knew what we were doing.”

Despite the poor first half it took Chris Salt a mere four minutes to head against the cross bar from a long diagonal free-kick.

This was one of only a few positives until half-time as moments later Worcester took the lead with an absolute thunderbolt.

It came from their captain George Williams, who unleashed a thundering strike in off the crossbar from the edge of the box.

Trinity were naturally rattled by this turn of events and they never really settled into a rhythm in the first half.

The only real chance for the Blues came midway through the first period.

Neat footwork on the edge of the Worcester area saw Darryn Stamp break through one on one with the keeper but a recovery tackle from centre half Graham Hutchinson spared an almost certain goal for the home side and the referee ignored calls for a penalty.

If it had been given, a red card would have quickly followed.

The Trinity midfield was too narrow and this allowed acres of space at times for the opposition.

Sean Geddes took advantage of the time he was given to coolly slot the ball underneath Jan Budtz to send the visitors in with a comfortable advantage.

The second half saw Billy Lobjoit and Conor Higginson come on as Trinity changed formation to try and get back into the game.

They began to get more joy in the opposition half and five minutes after coming on Higginson tapped home his third of the season.

Despite the uplifting performance in the second half, Housham was not pleased with the fitness shown by his side, particularly from the younger players.

He said: “I can’t fault the effort in the second half.”

“But I thought the younger lads need to start looking after themselves better.”

“We cant keep wiping their bums all the time and nurture them 24 hours a day.”

“They’ve got to follow the examples set by the older players.”

“I thought the fitness levels were a bit low.”

Despite this, Trinity still managed to hit the woodwork twice in the remaining 10 minutes.

A Lobjoit header looped over the keeper and struck the post before a deflected Jake Picton header did similarly.

Gainsborough ended the game with both centre backs and the goalkeeper in the opposition penalty area but just couldn’t quite grab an equaliser as they enter a busy week with a game against Harrogate on Tuesday.

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma ©, Picton, Salt, Lacey, Binns, Toner, Russell, Davis (Lobjoit 45), Stamp (Higginson 65), Beesley. Subs (not used): Martin, Roberts, Davie.

Worcester City: Vaughan, Williams ©, Weir, Hutchinson, Rowe, Jackman, Geddes, Gator, McDermott (Murphy 39), Nti, Symons (Wright 27). Subs (not used): Veiga, Taylor, Gudger.

Gainsborough Goalscorers: Higginson 72.

Worcester Goalscorers: Williams 8, Geddes 38.

Attendance: 340.

Referee: Mr G. Fyvie. Assistants: Mr J. Simpson, Mr W. Finnie.