Housham happy with efforts in defeat to Guiseley

Steve Housham praised his side’s performance despite defeat at the hands of high flying Guiseley on Tuesday.

A superb Darryn Stamp goal wasn’t enough to stop Trinity going down 3-1 at Guiseley as the hosts’ promotion push picked up even more momentum.

Goals from Alex Johnson, Adam Boyes and Wayne Brooksby condemned Housham’s men to a third successive defeat.

Housham said: “We did well throughout the majority of the game.”

“It went dead after they got the third goal but we lined up against them and, in spells, we played some really good football.”

“It just happens that some of the goals we conceded could have been cut out, which I seem to be saying week in week out.”

“Guiseley are in the play-offs for a reason and probably the best footballing side we’ve come up against; It was a good game of football from both sides.”

“We just missed that final cutting edge.”

Trinity went into the game in search of their first win in eight games and started the brighter with Curtis Bateson going close after four minutes.

But the home side were playing on the back of two big victories and their confidence began to show with some neat play in midfield with former Grimsby midfielder Danny Boshell pulling the strings.

Guiseley’s attacking prowess threatened early on as Alex Johnson found Adam Boyes in the box but Josh Lacey was on hand to thwart any real danger.

The Trinity defence held firm and frustrated free-scoring Guiseley in the first half with Wayne Brooksby forced into a couple of long range efforts.

On the break, Housham’s men looked dangerous and almost took the lead in style when some fantastic play from Bateson led to the loanee bringing the best out of Drench from 18-yards.

The home side did have the ball in the net on 23 minutes but after Phil Barnes kept out Boyes’ shot, Johnson poked home – only to be denied by the offside flag.

At the point Trinity were on top and the returning Callum Howe was unlucky not to give the Blues the lead when a corner dropped kindly for him but his effort was cleared off the line.

However, it was inevitable that Guiseley would take the lead and they did so with a superb finish from Johnson.

The striker picked the ball up on the edge of the box and coolly fired the ball into the bottom corner.

Greg Young saw another chance cleared off the line for Trinity on the stroke of half time – something that was becoming a theme of the game.

After the break Guiseley found their rhythm and deservedly doubled their lead with another good finish.

This time Boyes latched onto a pinpoint through ball to slot the ball home past a helpless Barnes.

Before the home fans had chance to finish celebrating, Darryn Stamp pulled one back for Trinity with a stunning 25-yard effort, which found the top corner and gave his side a lifeline.

The goal gave Trinity something the cling on to as they went in search of an equaliser but all hope of a comeback vanished when Johnson broke down the right and cut the ball back to Brooksby.

The winger kept his composure and smashed the ball into the back of the net via a deflection.

The third goal killed off any impetus Trinity had and Guiseley strolled to victory.

Guiseley: Drench; Holdsworth, Meynell, Ellis, Hall, Lawlor, Boshell (Potts ’90), Brooksby, Rothery; A.Johnson (O. Johnson ‘83), Boyes (Holsgrove ‘9)

Subs not used: Forrest, Dickinson

Gainsborough Trinity: Barnes; Roma, Lacey, Howe, Young; Williams, Toner, Russell (Davis ‘87), Roberts (Davie ’75), Bateson, Stamp (Wootton ’72)

Subs not used: Winfarrah, Martin

Goalscorers: A.Johnson ’33, Boyes ’56, Brooksby ’67; Stamp ‘57

Yellows: Williams ’60, Roma ‘63

Referee: Mr P. Graham

Assistants: Mr R. Goodwon-Davey, Mr J. Price

Attendance: 506