Housham hails the men at the back as Blues hold out

Share this article

Trinity boss Steve Housham hailed his defensive unit as his side held play-off hopefuls Harrogate Town to a 1-1 draw.

Jonathon Margetts opened the scoring for the visitors with a fine solo effort on the stroke of half time before Harrogate leveled late on through Ashley Worfold’s header.

Despite the late setback, Trinity held on and Housham was full of praise for his back four.

He said: “The two central defenders were absolutely fantastic today and that has been a long time coming.”

“Both Greg Young and Mike Leary were Man Mountains in there and to have Dom [Roma] back too was massive.”

“We can’t forget young Josh Lacey at left back either; he hardly put a foot wrong today.”

“But the two centre halves were immense for us.”

In a game dubbed by the Harrogate announcer as a ‘cup final’ Gainsborough spoiled the party by leaving with a well deserved share of the spoils.

Trinity began the game well with a quick break leading to Margetts finding space in the box but a last ditch tackle prevented the Hull loanee making the perfect start.

This seemed to wake the home side as Chris Hall went close after Ashley Worsfold forced a save form Phil Barnes in the Trinity goal.

Despite early Harrogate dominance, Trinity showed signs they were in the game and good work from the impressive Davis on the right allowed Simon Russell to let fly from the edge of the box but MacGilivray held on well.

The chance of the first half fell to Hall who broke free of the Trinity backline but he failed to beat the onrushing Barnes.

The home side were almost made to pay for not taking their chances shortly after when a corner found Liam Davis at the back post and the Trinity man forced MacGilivray into a smart save.

Town continued to plug away at the Gainsborough defence but couldn’t find the final ball as the home fans became increasingly frustrated.

However, it was Trinity who took the lead on the stroke of half time. Mistakes in the home defence allowed the in-form Margetts space to slot the ball into the bottom right hand corner past an out-stretched MacGilivray.

Harrogate looked to get going in the second half but play was halted by a nasty looking injury to Adam Nowakowski who took a blow to the head whilst challenging for a corner.

Trinity struggled after the short break as the home side dominated possession but failed to make the pressure pay.

It was Gainsborough though who would enjoy the better of the early second half chances though, with Simon Russell pulling the strings in midfield.

The midfielder found Curtis Bateson with a wonderful through ball but Craig MacGilivray was out quickly to prevent the visitors doubling their lead.

Bateson again went close on 60 minutes as he had the freedom of the Harrogate box to pick his spot but could only head wide of the target.

Harrogate regained a foothold in the game as substitute Michael Woods began to take control.

It would be Woods who created the leveler for the home side as his cross back into the danger area allowed Ashley Worsfold to nod home from all but a yard to give the play-off hunters hope of snatching all three points but Trinity held on.

Harrogate Town: MacGillivray; Samuels, Heath, Killock, Merris; Mallory, Nowakowski (Nelthorpe ’50), Brown, Sellars (Woods ’64); Worsfold, Hall (Hardy ’66)

Subs not used: Ironside, Smith

Gainsborough Trinity: Barnes; Leary, Roma, Young, Lacey; Davie, Roberts, Russell, Davis; Margetts, Bateson

Subs not used: Martin, Dickens, Winfarrah, Wooton, Williams

Goalscorers: Worsfold ’84; Margetts ‘45

Yellows: Heath ‘64

Referee: Mr B. Khatib

Assistants: Mr P. Stalker, Mr I Patton

Attendance: 516