Housham blasts ‘dive’ in controversial Fylde loss

Gainsborough Standard Sport Logo, Gainsborough Trinity
Gainsborough Standard Sport Logo, Gainsborough Trinity

Gainsborough were unlucky in defeat as they became AFC Fylde’s ninth successive league victims,in a game that was marred by poor refereeing decisions.

A soft penalty for the hosts 10 minutes from time seemed to seal the game for the Coasters but a late rally for the Blues saw them hitting the bar and forcing a fantastic save from the home keeper Ben Hinchcliffe in injury time.

Ironically it was Gainsborough who started the brightest as Liam Davis had the first effort of the game within 15 seconds.

Trinity continued to frustrate the hosts, retaining possession with confidence.

Arguably against the run of play, the Coasters opened the scoring through ex-Lincoln City man Danny Rowe.

The attacker beat Jan Budtz to a cross to head into an empty net.

Manager Steve Housham did not blame his number one.

He said: “The cross has just stayed in the wind and Jan has been big and brave in calling for it, the lad has come across and headed it in.”

“We didn’t really get caught out first half at all, if people like to watch a centre half pass to a centre half for three or four minutes, that’s great.”

“I wouldn’t pay to watch that.”

The second half started in a similar fashion as the first as Trinity continued to create chances on the break.

Davis was again at the heart of the problems, picking the ball up on the flanks and driving at the Fylde defenders.

There was no real threat up front, however, as Hinchcliffe was barely tested until the latter minutes.

It was the 79th minute where the dubious penalty was awarded.

The spot kick was given for a foul by Dominic Roma on Fylde winger Danny Lloyd.

Housham was rather abrupt with his thoughts on the matter.

He said: “It was a blatant dive.”

“There were two in the second half but he fell for one.”

The penalty ignited the atmosphere at Kellamergh Park and kicked Trinity into life.

Five minutes later the Blues had one back through Darryn Stamp.

The veteran centre forward headed home a Ciaran Toner corner to bring belief to the travelling fans.

In the remaining minutes, Gainsborough produced wave after wave of attacks.

Conor Higginson hit the bar from a quick break before another Stamp header from a corner was goalbound but for a flying save by Hinchcliffe.

The Blues could not take their chances and they left the Fylde Coast with nothing for their efforts.

Trinity fans will enjoy the news though, that Jonathan Margetts was spotted in the stands at last weekend’s tie with Marine and looks increasingly likely to return to the Gainsborough Martin and Co Arena.

Speaking of the Hull City striker, Housham said: “I’ve spoken to Jonno at lengths, but we will wait and see on that one.”

Margetts scored ten times at the back end of last season including a hat trick at home to Oxford City.

“I am in the process of talking to Jonathan but I’ve got to try and weave my magic and get these guys for nothing, which doesn’t happen a lot these days.”

The Blues head into the crunch tie with Gateshead next Saturday in high spirits despite the defeat to runaway leaders Fylde.

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma (C), Davie, Binns (Roberts 80), Picton, Quinn, Russell, Toner, Beesley (Stamp 67), Bateson, Davis (Higginson 88). Subs (not used): Salt, Martin.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Denson, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, Barnes B, Allen, Hughes, Rowe (Lloyd 73), Barnes M, Allen (Tomsett 85). Subs (not used): Potts, Booth, Blinkhorn.

Gainsborough Goalscorers: Stamp (86).

Fylde Goalscorers: Rowe (33), Allen (pen 79).

Attendance: 436.

Referee: Mr B Khatib. Assistants: Mr P Newhouse, Mr J Simpson.