Housh worries as his Blues slip to fifth straight league defeat

Gainsborough Trinity v AFC Telford. Liam Davis scores for Trinity G130831-6h
Gainsborough Trinity v AFC Telford. Liam Davis scores for Trinity G130831-6h

Gainsborough Trinity boss Steve Housham is ‘worried’ about his side’s run of form after a 3-1 defeat to AFC Telford United saw them rooted to the foot of the Skrill North table.

Despite some promising signs from new signings, Housham’s men are without a point from five games, and the manager admits his team are lacking the confidence to close a game out .

“We’re trying to keep our heads up,” he said.

“We’ve had 15 minutes where we just self destructed a bit, which happens when you’re lacking in confidence.”

“There were plenty of positives today, and we should have got something out of the game.”

“We have to man up to it and look at ourselves. We’ve got a big game coming up next week (at Stockport) and we now have to focus on that.”

The visitors started brightly - Neill Byrne poking just wide from an early corner – but the best early chance fell to Trinity loanee Rhys Oates, who chased down a weak backpass and headed just wide.

Housham handed debuts to Oates, Dan Clayton and Conner Robinson, and the new signings seemed to give the Blues an injection of confidence.

It seemed unlikely that the game would be goalless going into the break, and the home side were rewarded for their pressure.

After a long ball from the back earned the Blues a corner, Liam Davis – making his first home start – powered in at the back post to head past Young, to the delight of the home fans.

It looked likely that a set piece that would get the vistors back into it, and it proved to be the case as Sean Clancy equalised from penalty spot.

Greg Young was adjudged to have pulled substitute Andy Owens down on 65 minutes, and the former Chester man made no mistake from 12 yards.

Just as Trinity looked to adjust and take a push at regaining the lead, a goalkeeping mishap saw the visitors go in front.

Andy Farrell nodded towards Phil Barnes’ near post, only for the goalkeeper to fumble the ball and see it squeeze into the bottom corner.

As with any side lacking confidence, Trinity heads began to drop, and it was only a matter of time before Simon Grand secured the result for the Bucks – firing low past Barnes after the beleaguered keeper made a good stop from Clancy.

Trinity visit fellow strugglers Stockport County on Saturday, desperate to get away from the foot of the table.

Gainsborough Trinity: Barnes, Roma, Wilde, J.Williams, Ward, Young, Russell, Davis (R.Williams, 48), Oates, Robinson (Barraclough, 75), Clayton (Jones, 79). Not used: Lacey, Stamp

AFC Telford United: Young, Baynes, McGinn, Byrne, Grand, Moogan (Barnett, 45), Phenix (Owens, 63), Benjamin, Farrell (Booth, 85), Gray, Clancy. Not used: Preston, Pryce.

Yellows: J. Williams (27), Young (64).

Referee: Wayne Porter

Attendance: 428