Gr-eight game

Gainborough Trinity pre-season training session, Craig Nelthorpe (G110708-2k)
Gainborough Trinity pre-season training session, Craig Nelthorpe (G110708-2k)

GAINSBOROUGH Trinity manager Brian Little described his side’s 8-0 win over Brigg Town as “well deserved.”

The Blues hardly had to break sweat against the struggling North Lincolnshire outfit, and speaking to the Standard after the game, Little seemed pleased with his side’s performance.

“You can play against each other on the training ground, but it isn’t the same as being competitive against a side trying to beat you.”

“We played very well and deserved to win by the margin we did, and some of our new signings looked really sharp.”

Trinity gave starts to trialists Michael Leary, Josh Wilde and Owen Lawler, as well as a host of their summer acquisitions.

One of those new signings was Ryan Paczkowski, whose strength was evident during the opening exchanges.

The former Brigg striker provided a perfect foil for the bright Ryan Kendall, and was on hand to open the scoring after 24 minutes, pouncing on a scuffed clearance from Zebras keeper Billy Ward.

The lead was doubled just moments later through winger Jamie Yates, who was left with a simple chance after a clever pass from Kendall.

By the half hour mark, the Brigg Town defence had begun to show signs of being overwhelmed by the visitors, and a third goal ended the game as a contest on 31 minutes.

Leary looked perfectly at home in the centre of Trinity’s midfield in the opening period, and it was his pass that gave Kendall the opportunity to get on the scoresheet himself to cap a near perfect first half.

Half time saw a complete change around, with all 11 starters replaced for the second period, something which Little says is a key part of his pre-season preparations.

“Having two separate groups really helped us today. We have seen how certain players gel, and while it will be the same players for Wednesday’s game (against Scunthorpe United), we will try different combinations.”

With all of the changes at half-time, Trinity took a while to find their rhythm in the second half, but another burst of goalscoring gave the scoreline a very one-sided feel.

Craig Nelthorpe took advantage of the extremely slippery conditions to swerve a skidding shot past Ward on 55 minutes, and Leon Mettam made it 5-0 four minutes later, set up by Darryn Stamp following a ‘route one’ goal kick from Andy Pettinger.

Stamp then got himself on the scoresheet just three minutes later, slipping a placed shot under Ward from a narrow angle.

With just two minutes remaining, Dominic Roma tapped in on the goal-line after an excellent shot from Mettam rattled the woodwork, and Luke Waterfall netted the final goal in injury time to complete a comfortable rout for the visitors.

To their credit, the home side continued to play passing football throughout, but were largely restricted to long range efforts.

Sam Thorne forced a fine diving save from Pettinger late on in the second half, but the game was long since over as a contest.

Trinity then turned their attention to the much sterner task of Scunthorpe United tonight (Wednesday), and Little admits the challenge facing them is a big one.

“Without wishing to sound negative, we may suffer a setback (against Scunthorpe) on Wednesday, but if we will continue to play as we have done today I will be more than happy.”

“The performance is much more important than the result.”

Trinity (first half): Barnes, Boyce, Wilde, Cowan, Gray, Leary, Yates, D’Laryea, Kendall, Paczkowski, Lawler.

Trinity (second half): Pettinger, Roma, Coleman, Waterfall, Davies, Clark, R.Williams, Nelthorpe, Dellicompagni, Mettam, Stamp

Brigg: Ward, Dickens, Dudley, Cochrane, Archer, Thorne, Lamb, Clement, Ricketts, Holden, Ball.

Subs: Shortland, Hilton, Day, Gannon, Smith, Bailey, Wood.