Gainsborough Trinity’s home winning streak ended by AFC Fylde

Gainsborough Trinity's Darryn Stamp
Gainsborough Trinity's Darryn Stamp

Gainsborough’s four game winning streak at the Martin and Co Arena came to an end thanks to high flying Fylde.

A goal in each half was enough to seal victory for the coasters, who moved within four points of top spot.

Coming into the game Trinity had won their last four league games, with two of them against promotion challengers in the shape of Harrogate Town and North Ferriby.

The Blues were in this one as well and did not deserve to go into the break at half time behind, as they matched the Coasters all over the pitch.

Trinity made one change to the team that came unstuck away at North Ferriby last time out, with loanee Kane Richards making his first start for the club since his move from Chester.

Liam Davis was the man to make way as the Blues had their first home game of 2016.

Gainsborough enter a period where they play five of the next six games at the Martin and Co Arena.

This was always set to be a difficult fixture against perennial big spenders Fylde, with the remaining ties against teams in or around the relegation zone.

Before the game, Blues boss Steve Housham set his side the target of a total of 12 points from those fixtures.

Trinity almost made the worse possible start to the to their period of home games when Danny Lloyd burst through on goal in the opening five minutes, fortunately Lloyd’s shot was hit straight at Jan Budtz who was in net for Trinity.

The Coasters started brightly and Budtz was called into action not long after to turn the ball round the post from a corner.

The Blues struggled to get going for the opening 20 minutes as Fylde’s positive approach had them penned in for that period.

However, Trinity could have taken the lead in the 23rd minute when Nathan Jarman flicked on a Stephen Brogan set piece to force a save from the visiting keeper.

Set pieces were causing a problem for Gainsborough and three minutes later, Fylde took advantage.

A Lloyd corner was flicked on at the near post, bobbled around the six yard box and Sam Finley scrambled it home.

The Blues were unfortunate to see themselves behind as on the balance of play there was little in the game.

The chances were not coming though and the Coasters came close to going further in front just before half time when a Josh Wilson free kick had to be turned wide by Budtz.

Arguably the turning point in the match was what happened in the 50th minute. Anthony Wilson chased a long ball to the corner flag in the Fylde half before letting off a loud bang, the noise of a torn hamstring.

The former Barrow striker quickly grabbed his leg and fell to the floor, clearly in pain and had limped off down the tunnel.

The Martin and Co Arena fell silent at this point as a player who has had some awful misfortune injuries in the past, seemed to be destined to the sidelines for a significant period of time once more.

The visitors grabbed the opportunity by the scruff of the neck and quickly added to their lead.

Danny Rowe was the man, as he fired home from the edge of the box, beating Budtz at his near post.

It was almost three two mintues later as Tom Hannigan powered a header at goal, to which Budtz was equal. It was a superb save by the big Dane as he was going in the opposite direction initially and quickly had to reshuffle his feet.

Fylde had the momentum, yet could not add to their tally. Dion Charles was the next to fire wide when he cut in from the right flank.

The Blues lacked a creative spark and their best chance came from Jarman once more. The ex-Barnsley striker had a goal bound curled effort turned out for a corner by the diving head of Hannigan.

After the game Darryn Stamp believed Fylde deserved the win.

He said: “We were under no illusions coming into the game, we know what a good side Fylde are. First half we played at their pace and they showed they are the best team in the division.”

“I think it is only because they have had a couple of decent cup runs that they are behind. Our season doesn’t revolve around games like this, teams that are going to be getting out of the division.”

“As disappointed as we are, we have to be realistic and look at the games and think they deserved the three points but we have not been as good as we would like to have been on the day.”

“The most disappointing thing from today was the second half was a bit of a whimper and that is not like us. Last four or five games at home we’ve been solid and compact and got the results that we have deserved.”

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma, Lacey, Brogan, D’Laryea, Picton, Russell, Richards (Binns 65), Jarman, Wilson (Newsham 51), Yates (Davis 73). Subs (not used): Stamp, Hedge.

AFC Fylde: Hinchcliffe, C Hughes, Crainey, Langley, Hannigan, Baker (M Hughes 78), Charles, Finley, Rowe (Blinkhorn 86), Wilson, Lloyd (Barnes 78). Subs (not used): Whittle, Urwin.

Goalscorers: Finley 26, Rowe 58

Bookings: Lacey, D’Laryea, Picton; Hughes, Lloyd.

Referee: Mr T Bramall. Assistants: Mr A Hull, Mr A Dunne.

Attendance: 406.