Gainsborough Trinity ‘never got going’ says boss and referee ‘ruined’ second half of draw with Corby Town

MIDLANDS Regional Alliance round-up.
MIDLANDS Regional Alliance round-up.

Gainsborough manager Steve Housham said his side never got going as Gainsborough drew 1-1 at home with Corby.

The Northamptonshire side swept home a second half penalty to cancel out Nick Bignall’s first half opener.

Speaking after the game, the Blues boss said: “I didn’t think we were great first half. I thought our passing was below our standards. I went in at half time and lost my voice a little bit as I’ve had to say to the players that the only team that will beat us today will be ourselves if we switch off.”

Housham thought his side started the second half brightly before Corby won a penalty as Jonathan D’Laryea brought down Kurtis Revan and the game became scrappy, with eight players in the referees notebook at full-time.

Corby defender Duane Courtney was fortunate to stay on the pitch as a minute after being carded for a foul on Jamie Yates, he brought down Bignall with the referee seemingly reaching for another yellow until realising he had just been booked.

He said: “We came out for the second half and it took them 11 minutes to get into our half. We started the second a lot better and whether it was a penalty or not I don’t know. I think JD has asked him a question as his foot is dangling.

“The second half was ruined by the man in the middle. If he does things by the letter of the law, you don’t want players sent off, the lads just had a yellow card and he fouls Bignall so should be off. He bottled the decision.”

Trinity started the game without injured defenders Adam Quinn and Jake Picton for the second game running.

There were two changes from the defeat to Alfreton Town, as the suspended Nathan Jarman made way for Marc Newsham to make his first start for the Blues and Danny Forrest came in on the right wing in place of Liam Davis.

The first stages seemed rather rushed with both teams looking to attack from the off.

Corby started in a 4-4-2 with the league’s joint top scorer, Ashley Sammons playing on the left hand side.

It always looked set to be an open game and it did not take long for the deadlock to be broken as top scorer Bignall swept the ball home after 15 minutes.

Yates was unleashed down the left and whipped in a devilish cross that Newsham headed against the underside of the crossbar with the ball bouncing out into the path of Bignall, who had gambled on the rebound.

Trinity had a chance to double the lead instantly when Newsham was put clean through on goal by Forrest.

The former Boston man had Yates in support and waited too long to square the ball and Aaron Brown managed to clear the ball for Corby.

The visitors continued to threaten on the counter and after Forrest headered a free kick at goal, the pacey break which followed caused Bignall to enter the book as he dragged a marauding forward down.

Despite their all action approach, the Steelmen did not threaten until the 33rd minute when Sammons’ cross from the left was met by Weir-Daley and he headed wide under pressure from Matt Wilson.

Gainsborough star man Bignall was showing all the attributes which have made him an instant favourite at the Martin and Co Arena.

The former Reading man held off two defenders before switching the play to Forrest on the other wing and Forrest charged into the box to tee up Stephen Brogan to get a shot on target.

The second period started at a more leisurely pace then the first, with Trinity holding possession and having some slick interchanges of play.

Yates was the first to threaten goal after the break as his long range pop at goal was saved by Paul Walker in goal for Corby before the visitors were awarded a penalty.

Greg Mills gave Jan Budtz the eyes and sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

The game burst into life for a short period before the referee began waving yellow cards.

This brought an end to what was a fluid match up between attack and counter attack. It became bitty and chore to watch as neither team did themselves any favours.

There was one late chance for Trinity as Bignall exchanged passes with substitute Simon Russell and had a shot on target but it was easily gathered by Paul Walker in the Corby net.

The Blues visit Nuneaton next Saturday as they aim to move into the play off spots in the National League North.

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma, Lacey, Binns (Russell 81), Wilson, Brogan, D’Laryea, Forrest (Davis 74), Bignall, Newsham (Stamp 76), Yates. Subs (not used): Karkach, Hedge.

Corby Town: Walker, Thomas, Carruthers, Courtney (Kennedy 74), Brown, Revan, Mills, Taylor, Tshimanga, Weir-Daley (Milnes 68), Sammons. Subs (not used): Brown, Wright, Donkin.

Goalscorers: Bignall 15; Mills pen 56.

Bookings: Bignall, Wilson, Brogan, Forrest, Stamp; Courtney, Sammons, Wright.

Attendance: 424.

Referee: Mr R Wild. Assistants: Mr B McGill, Mr A Cawtherley.