Gainsborough Trinity beaten by Alfreton Town

Alfreton Town v Gainsborough Trinity.'Goalmouth action.
Alfreton Town v Gainsborough Trinity.'Goalmouth action.

Gainsborough suffered their first defeat in five as they beaten 1-0 by Alfreton.

Tom Allan headed home with ten minutes left on the clock for Alfreton as the Impact Arena witnessed the first win of the campaign for Town.

In a match where Trinity played a taller and more physical side than they have been used to so far this season, it was not a huge surprise that the winner came from a set piece.

The Blues had to deal with a makeshift back four as Adam Quinn missed out with concussion from a clash of heads in the Boston game and Jake Picton failed a fitness test on his hamstring before a ball was even kicked. That meant Dom Roma moved to centre-back with Matt Wilson and Stephen Brogan at left-back.

It was not plain sailing for Alfreton either, who could only name three substitutes with one of those being a goalkeeper.

Both sides needed a quiet start to the game to settle into and that is what they got.

It did not help either that the morning rain had made it a slick surface with neither retaining possession for large periods.

Allan came close with a header in the 13th minute before Nick Bignall won a free kick on the edge of the box.

Brogan curled the dead ball over the wall and on target as the former Bradford City League Cup Final goalkeeper Matt Duke, quickly scrambled across to tip it over and out for a corner.

Jamie Yates then fancied his chances from outside the penalty area, as he jinked into space in midfield and dragging a shot wide.

The sides were evenly matched and cancelled each other out until the stroke of half time.

From a Yates cross, Jonathan D’Laryea miscued a shot into the path of Bignall who had a strike blocked. The rebound fell to Charlie Binns who hit a fierce first time half volley onto the post.

The Reds started the second half with gusto and within minutes forced Jan Budtz into a smart stop when left back Niall Heaton advanced forward.

A clean tackle by Yates was then punished and a dangerous opportunity given to the home side.

A clever free kick routine, where the ball was rolled through the legs to Joe Leesley to run onto, was powerfully driven at goal for Budtz to push out for a corner.

Trinity tried to go more attacking and replaced Liam Davis with Danny Forrest and the former Guiseley attacker instantly tested Duke with an effort.

Alfreton nullified the threat of the extra forward and but for Matt Wilson they would have been ahead earlier, as the defender’s last ditch tackle prevent Jamie Jackson scoring.

From the corner, Brogan was then the hero as he twice cleared off the line to prevent Allan and then Todd Jordan from scoring.

The Blues could not hold out any longer though as Allan finally got his goal, looping a header in at the back post.

Even the addition of Darryn Stamp and Marc Newsham off the bench could not change Trinity’s fortunes.

After the game, manager Steve Housham believed his side should have had a point.

He said: “I thought first half we did really well, passed it well and had the odd chance. Charlie’s hit the post and had a few good chances, second half they upped it by kicking the ball further then they did first half.”

“I can’t fault any of the players. We had Jake drop out in the warm up, Dom at centre half, Brogan left back and I thought they did really well.”

“If you look at the height of them compared to us and that was all that was going to undo us and that’s what happened. It was a sloppy goal to concede but you have to put tin hats on when you come to places like this. It is an effective way to play but we dug in and probably deserved the draw overall.”

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma, Lacey, Binns, Brogan, Wilson, D’Laryea, Davis (Forrest 55), Bignall, Jarman (Newsham 78), Yates (Stamp 85). Subs (not used): Rigby, Karkach.

Alfreton Town: Duke, Moyo, Heaton, Allan, Galinski, Jordan (c), Leesley, Wilson, Jackson, Johnston, Ironside (Berry 77). Subs (not used): Paling, Draper.

Goalscorers: Allan 80.

Bookings: Lacey.

Attendance: 576

Referee: Mr G Mellor. Assistants: Mr A Burgess, Mr P Tomes.