Dubious penalty condemns Gainsborough Trinity to bitter derby defeat at Boston United

editorial image

Gainsborough suffered a derby day defeat as a late penalty for Boston leaves the Blues only three points above the drop zone.

Dale Southwell slotted home a dubious penalty, six minutes from time, not long after Trinity had a stronger penalty appeal turned down as Paul Beesley fell in the box.

It was not the most entertaining derby but it certainly had the fiery nature as both managers had to be separated following the Pilgrims winner.

Steve Housham made two changes from the win over Leamington, with match winner Davis coming into the side to replace Dan Clayton.

The second saw Paul Beesley return from injury to lead the line instead of Darryn Stamp.

Both sides began with two players starting against their former sides.

Most notably being Pilgrim players Mark Jones and Grant Roberts, with the latter leaving Trinity for Boston only a few months ago.

Roberts was only on the fringes of the Blues team, playing primarily out of position on the wing.

Since joining the amber and golds, Roberts has been a driving force in their promotion push from the centre of midfield.

On a bobbly pitch in South East Lincolnshire, both teams originally struggled to get to grips with the ball.

It was a scrappy game for large periods as the sides tried to settle into some sort of rhythm in the game.

Twenty minutes passed before the first chance of the game.

Dale Southwell broke clear of the Trinity defence and fired an angled drive at goal, which was stopped well by the feet of Rory Watson.

Gainsborough seemed keen to make an impression, especially Jamie Yates who used to play at York Street.

A free kick, ten yards outside the box, was curled wide by Sheffield born Yates as the Blues lacked creativity in the final third.

This attempt galvanised the home side as they began to create chances at will.

The pace and trickery of Kaine Felix was causing problems for Trinity.

Felix slalomed through the defence and forced a save from Watson in the Gainsborough goal before he put in a devilish cross for Jones to head Boston in front after 35 minutes.

The second period began as scrappy and unconvincing as the first but it was Trinity who asserted themselves better.

Paul Beesley had the best chance of the game for the Blues as he fired over after brilliant work from Simon Russell.

A minute later and Stephen Brogan entered the field for Yates.

The former Southport proved to be the catalyst the game needed as one of his first touches assisted Davis for the equaliser.

From Brogan’s corner, Davis managed to bundle the ball over the line somehow to grab his sixth of the season.

The momentum was in Gainsborough’s favour now and moments later Beesley was brought down in the box by the Boston keeper.

The referee was in a great position to see the incident and seemed to bottle the decision to award the spot kick, instead giving a corner.

All in Blue could not believe this and with six minutes to go, their fury was compounded.

From a Boston corner, Adam Quinn was adjudged to have pulled down Boston defender Carl Piergianni.

Gainsborough were incensed.

Manager Housham and Boston counterpart Dennis Greene had to be separated by a steward as it all got a little tense on the sidelines.

Southwell sent Rory Watson the wrong way and condemned the Blues to defeat.

Boston United: Stryjek, Marrs, Garner, Piergianni, Steer, Felix, K Dixon, Roberts, Walker (Sheridan 68), Southwell, Jones. Subs (not used): Newsham, Saebe, Hollingsworth, Vince.

Goalscorers: Jones 35, Southwell pen 82.

Yellow Cards: Jones.

Gainsborough Trinity: R Watson, Roma (c), Quinn, Byrne, Lacey, Davis (Hamilton 76), Russell, Binns, Yates (Brogan 60), Beesley (Stamp 84), Forrest. Subs (not used): Toner, Picton.

Goalscorers: Davis 63.

Yellow Cards: Beesley, Brogan.

Attendance: 1,319.

Referee: Mr A Tankard.