Darryn Stamp goal rescues point for Gainsborough Trinity against Worcester City

Gainsborough Trinity v Worcester City. Josh Lacey goes down
Gainsborough Trinity v Worcester City. Josh Lacey goes down

A late leveller from Gainsborough veteran Darryn Stamp, rescued a point for the Blues as they were outclassed by Worcester for the majority of the game.

Stamp headed home a Simon Russell corner with eight minutes left on the clock, as he continued to show why he is not thinking of retiring anytime soon.

Gainsborough Trinity v Worcester City. Jamie Yates gets tangled up with Kieran Morris

Gainsborough Trinity v Worcester City. Jamie Yates gets tangled up with Kieran Morris

The former Scunthorpe striker changed the game for Trinity as he used his experience to ruffle a few feathers in the back line and created further chances for Gainsborough to go on and win the game.

Aside from this, it was a less than impressive performance from Steve Housham’s men as they chased the ball for large chunks of the game.

This was as much down to the quality of possession play by Worcester, who did the double over Trinity last season.

The visitors asserted themselves after only seven minutes as Jan Budtz made an excellent low save to deny winger George Nash from range.

Ryan Rowe then decided to get in on the act and found space in the penalty box before a curled effort flew inches wide.

Quickly drama unravelled as City stopper Nathan Vaughan was adjudged to handle the ball outside the box on the right hand side. Luckily for his side he was only given a yellow card by referee Iain Turner, the first of seven for his team.

Nash tried his luck from range once more before the break as did left wing back Darren Campion with a thunderous drive.

Little changed in play in the second half, as City intensified their search for a goal.

Sean Geddes brought a smart save out of Budtz at his near post from a free kick and then minutes later Rowe seemed to have given them the advantage as his fierce shot headed for the top corner.

A fantastic save by the Big Dane Budtz thwarted him.

On the 66th minute Budtz was finally beaten. A marauding run and cross from sub Ashley Vincent down the left hand side was met by the foot of Rowe in the six yard box and the game looked all but over.

The goal kicked some life into Gainsborough and from a corner several attempts on target were blocked ahead of Jake Picton and he screwed a shot wide.

Fans favourite Stamp then came off the bench and turned the game even more.

Four minutes into his display, he powered home a Russell corner and undeservedly the Blues were level.

A minute later and a golden chance fell to Nathan Jarman from a Stamp flick. Jarman attempted to lob the keeper first time but there just was not enough height on the ball.

There was still time for Kieran Morris to receive his marching orders and for Jarman to have another go for the winner.

Unfortunately a Worcester defender managed to get a toe on the ball and put it out for a corner.

It was a point then for the Blues and manager Steve Housham knew his team had been fortunate.

He said: “We never really got going all day and it was the old story of needing a goal against us to really get us going.”

“After that we should have gone on to win it but as I said in there, we should not need a 37 year old bloke to come off the bench and pick us up.”

“Today we will take the point as we got away with it.”

“Jan pulled off some great saves to keep us in the match and I said to the guys, you need to look at yourself if you are at home and the keeper is getting man of the match.”

“For 70 minutes it was lacklustre. Until they scored our passing was poor, not sharp enough and it was generally all over the park where we were lacklustre.”

“Whether it was the first game nerves or not I don’t know but we managed to dig deep and get a point.”

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma (c), Lacey, Binns, Quinn, Picton, Davis (D’Laryea 68), Russell, Bignall, Jarman, Yates (Stamp 78). Subs (not used): Wilson, Karkach, Rigby.

Worcester City: Vaughan, Weir, Campion (Haynes 76), Morris, McDonald, Gudger, Nti (Vincent 63), Deeney (c), Rowe (Dunkley 68), Geddes, Nash. Subs (Not used): Gater, Lloyd-Weston.

Gainsborough Goalscorer: Stamp 82.

Worcester Goalscorer: Rowe 66.

Bookings: Quinn, Yates; Vaughan, Campion, Morris, Rowe, Geddes, Vincent.

Sent off: Morris.

Attendance: 402.

Referee: Mr I Turner.