Blues bounce back in thrilling win

Gainsborough Trinity v Grimsby Town. Trinity player Bradley Barraclough G130804-1e
Gainsborough Trinity v Grimsby Town. Trinity player Bradley Barraclough G130804-1e

Trinity bounced back from Saturday’s disappointment in spectacular fashion, with a helter-skelter 5-4 win over Altrincham on Tuesday.

Brad Barraclough netted twice and was involved in two more goals as Blues picked up three points despite going down to 10 men late on.

The Blues took an early advantage when Liam Davis’ mazy run and shot forced a save from Stuart Coburn with three minutes on the board, and after the resulting corner wasn’t fully cleared, the diminutive midfielder was in the right place to poke home.

The visitors seemed stunned into life by the early strike, and after Kyle Perry and Damien Reeves squandered good chances it was the ex-Lincoln City man that levelled the scores.

Carl Rodgers produced a slide rule through ball that split the makeshift Trinity defence, and the sturdy forward made no mistake with his second chance, putting the ball past Phil Barnes.

Defence seemed optional for both teams at times, and the Blues were soon back in front through Jamie Wootton.

Barraclough jinked his way around veteran defender Danny Higginbotham and laid the ball to Alistair Taylor, whose blocked shot was pounced on by the loanee.

It was 3-1 before the break, with Barraclough once again taking the plaudits.

Cutting between two Robins defenders, the returning number 10 chested the ball, took his time and lashed the ball past Coburn.

The second half started in a much more sedate manner, both sides realising the next goal would be crucial, and it was to be Trinity that got it.

Yet more good work from Barraclough played Simon Russell in, and the midfielder skilfully rounded the Robins goalkeeper before lofting it into the net to make it 4-1.

The visitors piled forward in search of a way back, and found the net on 74 minutes.

James Lawrie – on for fellow substitute Jamie Walshaw – sprinted down the left and presented an excellent cross for Perry, who netted his second of the game.

With three minutes remaining, Callum Howe felled Perry, leading to a scuffle in which Davis raised his hands, earning a red card.

The resulting free-kick was cleared, but shortly after Rodgers forced the ball into the net to make it 4-3.

Six minutes of additional time were signalled, giving Barraclough ample time to cap his superb performance with his second goal, sparking wild celebrations.

Nick Clee got one back immediately, but the Blues held on for a famous victory.

Trinity: Barnes, Roma, Wilde, Howe, Leary, Taylor, Russell, Toner, Davis, Barraclough, Wootton. Subs: Stamp, Williams, Lacey, Batty, Karcach

Altrincham: Coburn, Densmore, Griffin (Doughty 61), Higginbotham, Havern, Marshall, Moult (Walshaw 61 (Lawrie 70)), Rodgers, Perry, Reeves, Clee. Subs: Wilkinson, Reid.

Yellow: Marshall 40, Howe 87, Wilde 87.

Red: Davis 87.

Goals: Davis 4, Perry 15, 74, Wootton 24, Barraclough 32, 90+5, Russell 59, 89, Clee 90+6.

Attendance: 300.

Referee: Mr D Richardson