Blue Square North: Trinity 2 Corby 2

Gainsborough Trinity v Corby Town G120929-3b
Gainsborough Trinity v Corby Town G120929-3b

STEVE Housham was forced to give a bizarre team-talk at half-time against Corby on Saturday, when he found his Trinity side trailing despite dominating the first 45 minutes.

Two goals in as many minutes from Sam Ives and Ryan Semple gave Corby a shock lead but a header from Luke Waterfall reduced the deficit before half-time.

Young striker Dominic Knowles headed home just after the break to level for Trinity and they were unfortunate not to take all three points.

“I think it was two points lost,” said Blues boss Housham.

“With the amount of possession and amount of shots we had today, it just wouldn’t fall for us.”

“You get punished for mistakes by whoever you play. They had a decent strike force today, from the first shot they’ve scored and from the second shot they’ve scored.”

“It was the strangest half-time team talk I’ve ever made because there was only one team in it and yet we’re going into the interval and could have been 2-0.”

“I couldn’t go in chucking teacups because I thought we played very well, barring a couple of mistakes and we got killed for it. We’ve showed good character today.”

Trinity were dominant for the opening 20 minutes, with visitors Corby struggling to get out of their own half.

Knowles had a shot cleared off the line and a goal disallowed, and further chances through Nelthorpe and Henderson followed but weren’t converted.

Corby looked like they were struggling to soak up all the early pressure but then they fired two goals in as many minutes with their first two attacks of the game.

A cross from Galinski was only cleared as far as Ives and his vicious shot found the back of the net from just outside the area.

They extended their lead just a minute later when MacKenzie found ex-Trinity man Ryan Semple who slotted home from eight yards out.

These two goals seemed to shock the home side, but only briefly, and they returned to the ascendancy very quickly and soon reduced the deficit.

The goal came six minutes before half-time when Waterfall’s glancing header from Wilde’s chipped free-kick evaded Walker in the Corby net.

The second half was less than 10 minutes old when Knowles headed home an equaliser after a great cross from Nelthorpe from the left hand side of the pitch.

Goal-scorer Knowles shared the manager’s frustration when asked whether they could have taken three points from the game.

“We deserved more to be honest.”

“I could have got another myself. We showed good character coming back because at the end of the day we were 2-0 down so it’s good to get a point but it was disappointing because I think we could definitely have beaten them.”

Next up for Gainsborough is a trip to Chester (tonight) in their re-arranged FA Cup Second Qualifying Round replay, postponed last week due to a waterlogged pitch.

Steve Housham feelings on the match remain as they did this time last week.

“We go there as massive underdogs and my team-talk is made easy.”

“They are already through and we’ve got to turn up and spoil the party. We want to be back here next week playing Halifax and we’ll give it a right good go.’

Gainsborough Trinity: Jan Budtz, Dominic Roma, Josh Wilde, Luke Waterfall, Danny Hone, Michael Leary (Shane Clarke 69), Jonathon D’Laryea, Craig Nelthorpe, Liam Henderson, Dominic Knowles (Jamie Yates 75), Terry Hawkridge. Not used: Grey Young, Oliver Banks, Lynton Karkach.

Corby Town: Paul Walker, Pierrick Briand, Jason Crowe, Paul Malone, Stefan Galinski (Nathan Fox 56), Lewis Webb, Ryan Semple (Greg Kaziboni 40), Nat Wedderburn, Leon McKenzie (Avelino Vieira 77), Sam Ives, Josh Moreman. Not used: Tom McGowan, Marc Manga.

Referee: Andy Hendley (West Midlands).

Bookings: Leon MacKenzie 51.