Lincs: Motorist drove into his ex’s new partner following an argument

Standard In Court Logo
Standard In Court Logo

A motorist has been given a suspended jail sentence after he admitting driving into his ex’s partner outside a fast food restaurant.

Matthew Hague’s Nissan truck struck Kevin Hillyard as Hague drove off following an argument outside the McDonald’s restaurant just off the A46 at South Hykeham.

The defendant was reckless. Mr Hillyard was struck. He had no chance to move away.

Andrew Vout, prosecuting

Andrew Vout, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court said Hague had earlier met up by arrangement with his ex Natasha Hillyard.

But during the meeting at the restaurant Hague started shouting abuse at her through the open window of his truck.

Mr Vout said that Mr Hillyard intervened telling Hague not to have a go at Natasha and suggested to him to “man up”.

Hague then accelerated forwards driving straight into Mr Hillyard.

Mr Vout said the prosecution accepted that the incident that occurred was as a result of Hague being reckless rather than a deliberate act to run down Mr Hillyard.

“The defendant was reckless. Mr Hillyard was struck. He had no chance to move away.”

“He clung to the front of the truck for a moment. Then he was pushed back several feet and thrown onto the ground.”

“Hague reversed backwards, revved his engine and then sped off with tyres screeching towards the A46.”

“Mr Hillyard was bleeding from the back of his head.”

“He was taken to Lincoln County Hospital where he was found to have a wound and swelling to the back of his head.”

Hague later rang police and said he had hit someone with his truck when he drove away after the man was abusive towards him.

Hague, 42, of Barnoldby Road, Waltham, Grimsby, admitted unlawful wounding as a result of the incident on 12th April 2013.

He was given a six month jail sentence suspended for a year with 180 hours of unpaid work.

Judge Michael Heath also imposed an indefinite restraining order banning Hague from contacting Mr Hillyard.

Stephen Lowne, defending, told the court that the incident occurred almost two years ago and had resulted in stress and anxiety for everyone involved.

He added: “Whatever caused the events of that day the parties seem to have been able to put it behind them.”