Gainsborough man walks free after robbery charges dropped

Lincoln Crown Court G120131-3
Lincoln Crown Court G120131-3

A man accused of carrying out a series of robberies has been cleared of all charges after the prosecution dropped the case against him.

Darren Nicholls, aged 34, of Coningsby Close, Gainsborough, had been due to stand trial in front of a jury at Lincoln Crown Court this morning accused of two robberies, an attempted robbery and a separate charge of theft.

But following a lengthy delay, the prosecutor Victoria Rose told the court that no evidence was being offered against Nicholls.

Miss Rose said the decision to drop the case had been made following discussions held at a high level within the Crown Prosecution Service.

She told the court “A decision has been made not to continue any further with this case. It is a decision that has not been taken lightly.”

Nicholls was alleged to have carried out a robbery at Otters Bridge Service Station near Saxilby on August 13 2015. He was also accused of a robbery in Market Street, Gainsborough on September 21 and attempted robbery at McColls on Spital Terrace, Gainsborough, on September13 .

Nicholls, who has spent six months in custody, was discharged.