The Friends of the Gainsborough Girls’ High School presented the proceeds from the sale of their book, ‘A History of the Gainsborough Girls’ High School’, to the Gainsborough and District Heritage Association.
The presentation of £691.26 took place on Saturday, February 27, at 2pm, at the Heritage Centre.
The gathering was a success as many of the Friends and other former pupils enjoyed reminiscing about their former school days, and the fabulous work that they have done to share and record their memories with the Centre and other former pupils.
The book was written and produced by the Friends and features photographs and accurate accounts of school life at the building, now known as School House on the site of the Queen Elizabeth’s High School.
The book charts the 63 year history of the Gainsborough Girls’ High School which was formed in 1920 and closed in 1983 due to the merger of the Girls’ and Boys’ school.
The Friends have purchased from the funds a display cabinet that features a 1950s uniform, now on view at the Heritage Centre, with much more memorabilia from the High School held in the archives which can be viewed on request.
The Heritage Centre at 12 North Street, Gainsborough, is open on Saturdays from 9am until 3pm and the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month from 11am until 4pm.
During the week the Centre is open on Tuesdays from 10am until 3pm.
The exhibition entry fee is £1.50 to non-members of the Association.
The standard yearly membership fee for members is £10 and the benefit of this is free entry to all of the Centre’s exhibitions.
For more information about the display cabinet and other memorabilia email email@example.com or ring 01427 610526.