Maoris lose in a derby clash

editorial image

Gainsborough Rugby Club’s Maoris outfit were unable to make it two wins in a row, when they narrowly went down 29-24 at Market Rasen and Louth.

The Maoris travelled to their local rivals reinforced with a few first team players and came into the game on the back off a big win against Skegness.

They were eager to play the fixture, even though the pitch was covered in patches of frost and was only just playable.

In the early moments of the first half, the Maoris lacked defensive strength and an error caused them to concede as Market Rasen picked up on a loose ball and ran over the whitewash for the first try of the game.

The conversion gave the hosts a 7-0 lead.

But Rasen’s early lead would be short lived as Tom Mell carried the ball over to score Gainsborough’s first try, with Sean Parker kicking the conversion.

Over the whole game, Gainsborough would produce some cracking tackles but they had a couple of lapses allowingMarket Rasen to score two further converted tries to end the first half 21-7 to the good.

The second half started much like the first with the home side getting their fourth try very early.

But fortunately for the Gainsborough Maoris, this time the conversion was wide of the target.

Gainsborough replacement Ben Watson came on and with his first touch of the ball crashed through Rasen’s defense to make a 20 metre break.

After further charges and some sustained forward pressure Ross Duncan drove in low to reach the try line and add five points.

The away side’s try of the game came when a beautiful passage of play that consisted of brilliant forward moves, good amounts of pressure, well played passes and a superbly worked assist from Ryan Bradford allowed Daniel Chadwick to race away and score Gainsborough’s third try.

Gainsborough then conceded a penalty which Rasen opted to kick for the posts and the Rasen followers were delighted to see the ball go through the posts .

The kick left the scoreline 29-14 in Market Rasen and Louth’s favour, but this turned out to be the home side’s final points of the encounter.

With time vastly against the Gainsborough side, Will Cawte gave their travelling supporters one more reason to cheer when he broke away and ran nearly half the length of the pitch for their last try.

Sadly for the visitors the conversion was not scored and this would be the final play of the match, with a full time result of 29-24.

Gainsborough Rugby Club are now selling merchandise through their club website.