Town move into last 16 in county cup
LINCS COUNTY CUP
Gainsborough Town FC 4
Waltham Tea Gardens 1
GAINSBOROUGH Town are into the hat for the last 16 of the county cup, as they avenged the 4-3 semi-final defeat to Waltham in the same cup thre years previous. T
he Hutchinson brothers were at it again with Leigh Hutchinson bagging a brace and Steve Hutchinson continuing his goalscoring streak with yet another goal.
Chris O’Mahony completed the list of goalscorers for Town.
Gainsborough made three changes from the midweek win against Louth, with Martin, O’Mahony and Page coming in to replace Lill, Robinson and Locking.
Town took the lead through Leigh Hutchinson midway through the first half after a fantastic run by Josh Nichol who who skipped past three tackles.
The hosts doubled their advantage shortly before half-time when O’Mahony doubled his tally for season after he brought the ball down on the edge of the box and then hit an unstoppable left foot volley low into the bottom right hand corner. Jamie Shaw in his new left wing-back position was giving the Waltham right-back a nightmare, constantly beating him and putting in some fantastic balls into the box.
The back three of Andrews, Holland and Page were again solid at the back and kept away any advances Waltham made on the the goal.
Leigh Hutchinson grabbed Town’s third of the day and his second of the afternoon early in the second half when he headed home Ashley Page’s beautifully delivered ball into the far corner to take his tally to seven for the season.
Town’s last goal of the day came after the impressive Greg Andrews twinkle toed his way past two defenders before being upended by the third defender in the penalty box and the referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot.
Steve Hutchinson stepped and placed the ball in the bottom right hand corner giving the keeper no chance.
Gainsborough could and should have made it five.
A corner was drifted into the back post and Lill headed it with his face and was cleared off the line.
Any chance of a clean sheet for Gainsborough was erased when Sam Jones unfortunately put one into the back of his own net after being challenged by the Waltham attacker.
Gainsborough Town will now face AFC Rustons in the last 16 of the cup.
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west