Housham’s delight at his Blues side’s fighting spirit

Gainsborough Trinity v Worcester City. Trinity player Jamie Wootton
Gainsborough Trinity v Worcester City. Trinity player Jamie Wootton

Gainsborough Trinity manager Steve Housham praised his side’s spirit after they produced two second half strikes to see off Worcester City.

Quick-fire strikes from Bradley Barraclough and Callum Howe shortly after the break secured all three points for the Blues, who eased their lingering relegation worries and moved ahead of their opponents in the Skrill North table.

“Our first half was OK but credit to the lads showing fight and spirit in the second half,” said Housham.

“We said at half time that we needed to increase the tempo – we looked down and lacklustre in first half.”

“We looked sharp going forward in the second half, and I thought we could have won by four or five in the end.”

“The players have come off in sweaty shirts and that’s what we wanted to see.”

“We’ll take each game as it comes.”

“We aren’t setting targets – we don’t need to win three more, we need to win fourteen more.”

With the referee allowing a physical game, the first half was a scrappy affair with little goalmouth action to speak of at either end.

A set piece always looked the most likely source of a goal for either side, and it was the visitors that broke the deadlock on 30 minutes in bizarre circumstances.

After Aaron Williams earned the visitors a corner, a drilled Steven Leslie set piece flew across the face of the goal, taking a slight touch on the head of Daniel Nti before dropping into the far corner of the net past a stranded Phil Barnes.

The lack of any clear goalscoring opportunities was a real concern for Trinity as the visitors grew into the game as the half progressed, and entered the break with a deserved lead.

However, the game was turned on its head within 10 minutes of the restart as goals from Barraclough and Howe gave Gainsborough Trinity the lead.

As has happened on many occasions in his long career, Darryn Stamp produced the perfect cushion header for his strike partner Barraclough, who turned and volleyed in one movement past the helpless Veiga.

Almost immediately after the restart, the Blues then earned a corner which was perfectly delivered by Caine Winfarrah onto the head of the young centre half, rocketing the ball into the bottom corner.

The second half was almost the polar opposite of the first, with both sides playing with verve and attacking flair, and both keepers making important saves.

With Stamp taken off injured, Jamie Wootton moved into the centre of the forward line, and almost made the game safe on 72 minutes, drawing a full length stop from the eccentric Veiga with the ball seemingly destined for the bottom corner.

Both Howe and substitute Liam Davis tested the City keeper late on, but the three minute salvo just after the break proved enough for Trinity to pick up an important three points.

Trinity: Barnes, Roma, Leary, Young, Howe, Russell, Toner, Winfarrah (Burbeary 74), Wootton (Williams 90), Stamp (Davis, 65) Barraclough.

Subs:, Martin, Batty

Worcester: Veiga, G.Williams, Weir (D.Williams 76), A.Williams (Moore 65), Hutchinson, Brown, Nti, Deeney, Ramsey-Dickson (Farrell 82), Nelson-Addy, Leslie

Subs: Khan, Bulman

Referee: Mr I Dudley

Attendance: 298.

Goals: Nti (30), Barraclough (52), Howe (54)

Yellow: Nelson-Addy (84), Deeney (90)