Gainsborough Trinity boss praises comeback in derby draw with Boston United

Gainsborough Trinity v Boston Utd. Trinity player Simon Russell G130202-6f
Gainsborough Trinity v Boston Utd. Trinity player Simon Russell G130202-6f

GAINSBOROUGH Trinity boss Steve Housham was full of praise for his player’s second-half performance in a feisty Lincolnshire derby last Saturday.

Trinity had to come from behind to ensure they remained in the play-off places in Blue Square North against opponents who came into the game on the back of a 7-1 drubbing just four days previous.

Danny Hone and Jamie Yates both struck for the Blues, whose first-half showing was slammed by Housham.

He said: “There was no passion and no pride in that first half performance whatsoever.

“That hurts to say but then the players listened at half-time and that’s good.

“I was disappointed with the first half and we’ve got to perform more like we did in the second half.”

The first half on Saturday was void of any real quality but it was peppered with the odd half-chance for either side; Darryn Stamp creating the first real opportunity of the game when his looping header was tipped over by the back-pedalling Dan Haystead.

Despite Trinity creating the first chance on goal, it was the visitors who took the initiative just moments later.

Ben Milnes pounced after a long throw was flicked on and he kept a calm head to casually slot past the onrushing Jan Budtz to send the Boston fans into delirium.

Shortly after, Trinity almost finished off the best move of the match. But after Terry Hawkridge made a meandering run, Stamp once again saw a header sail just over.

Luke Waterfall almost restored parity for Gainsborough early in the second-half but his header crashed off the bar before substitute Yates saw a rasping effort sting the fingertips of Haystead as Trinity continued their pursuit.

That pursuit paid off eventually when Hone was wide awake to poke home the ball inside the area after most of the other players seemed to have fallen asleep.

Just five minutes later and against the run of play United were back in front when Marc Newsham reacted quickly to a loose ball two yards out and flicked the ball past Budtz for his 24th goal of the season.

However, the hosts were once again level just eight minutes later when Yates side-footed home from inside the box.

The midfielder had looked lively prior to the strike and it will have been made all the sweeter for the former Boston man.

Paul Connor then drew a spectacular point-blank save from Haystead before Stamp’s header flew just wide to ensure the points were shared.

Gainsborough: Budtz 6, Roma 6, Wilde 6, Waterfall 7, Hone 7, Clarke 6 (Stokes 75), Russell 6, Nelthorpe 5 (Yates 46 7), Jones 5 (Connor 61 6), Stamp 6, Hawkridge 7

Boston United: Haystead 6, Marshall 6, Silk 6 (Fairclough 53 - 5), Foster 6, Stanfield 7, Watt 6, Walker 6, Milnes 7, Smith 6 (Weir-Daley80), Newsham 7 (Reed 90) Mayo 5

Referee: Darren England

Attendance: 908