Defeat sums up our season says Blues gaffer Housham

Gainsborough Trinity v Hednesford
Gainsborough Trinity v Hednesford

Steve Housham refused to fault his Trinity players after Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to promotion chasing Hednesford Town at Northolme.

The Blues’ boss was pleased with the effort put in by his side only 48 hours after the trip to Oxford City.

Darryn Stamp brought Trinity level after Marvin Johnson gave Hednesford the lead but Wayne Riley’s late goal snatched victory for the visitors.

Following the defeat, Housham refused to blame his players but admitted it was typical of Trinity’s season.

He said: “I can’t fault the players’ efforts because they kept on going but today probably sums our season up.”

“The two goals we conceded we sloppy but I can’t fault the lads; some of them are playing out of position.”

“I’m not going to slate the lads because they’re doing their best for Gainsborough Trinity Football Club.”

“Everyone who was there last week and today can see they are giving it a go.”

Gainsborough began the game brightly with Jamie Wootton forcing a corner for the hosts after only a couple of minutes.

It was Hednesford’s Marvin Johnson who would spark the game into life though with a galloping run down the left and crossing for Danny Glover to head wide from close range.

Johnson then took proceedings into his own hands as the impressive winger latched onto a through ball to stroke the ball past Phil Barnes into the bottom corner to give the visitors the lead.

That lead lasted only a few minutes however, as a long ball forward from the Gainsborough defence fell to Darryn Stamp who poked home from 18 yards past an onrushing keeper.

Then came a moment of comedy as Glover appeared to give Hednesford the lead for a second time but as he wheeled away in celebration his effort came back off the foot of the post and landed into the hands of a relieved Barnes.

After the break Johnson continued to cause havoc for the Trinity back line and almost forced a second for his team but his cut back evaded the substitute Marvin Robinson.

A moment of brilliance from Blues keeper Barnes kept the scores level as he superbly kept out Dave Macpherson’s point blank header, after a cross from the right.

Then only a last ditch clearance from Grant Roberts denied Robinson getting on the score sheet as Hednesford looked to stamp some dominance on the game.

The play-off contenders did manage to retake the lead soon after, as on 73 minutes Wayne Riley headed home from close range following a sliced clearance from Trinity captain Dom Roma.

Deputising right-back Roberts managed to clear the ball off the line but Riley was on hand to give the visitors the three points.

Liam Davis had a golden opportunity to grab a deserved point on 85 minutes when Barnes lofted a free-kick into the box which found the midfielder free and in a great position, but he could only head wide of the target from six yards.

The drama went down to the finish as in added time a free-kick towards goalkeeper Phil Barnes fell to Curtis Bateson.

The striker hooked a shot against the post, before at the other end, makeshift striker Greg Young fired low only to see Crane somehow keep it out.

Gainsborough Trinity: Barnes; Roberts, Roma, Young, Lacey; Wootton, Russell, Toner, Davie (Winfarrah ’54); Stamp (Bateson ’69), Margetts (Davis ’77).

Subs not used: Williams, Dickens,

Hednesford Town: Crane; Disney, Campion, Bailey, McCone, Macpherson, Riley, Johnson (Lennon ’77), Glover (Sullivan ’59), Anagho-Ntamark (Robinson ’45).

Subs not used: Thompson-Brown, Francis.

Goalscorers: Stamp ’15; Johnson ’11, Riley ‘73.

Yellows: Toner ’68; Disney ’47, Robinson ‘90.

Referee: Mr I.Dudley.

Assistants: Mr A.Park, Mr D.Tracey.