Blues season ends in loss as Telford claim the title

Gainsborough Trinity v AFC Telford. Trinity player Grey Young G130831-6e
Gainsborough Trinity v AFC Telford. Trinity player Grey Young G130831-6e
Have your say

Trinity’s season ended with defeat at Telford on Saturday as their opponents claimed the Skrill North title with a 3-0 victory.

Goals from Michael Grogan, Sean Clancy and Shaun Whalley helped the home side cruise to victory and promotion to the Skrill Premier.

The Bucks’ promotion rivals’ boss Billy Heath had questioned Trinity’s professionalism going into the game with the Blues having nothing to play for and Telford only needing to match North Ferriby’s result.

However, Steve Housham’s men were not there to make up the numbers and Tom Davie almost gave them the lead after three minutes when his shot was deflected wide.

But the 3,200 strong crowd at New Bucks Head witnessed their side take control early on when the offside flag prevented Adam Farrell giving Telford the lead on 10 minutes after he fired home from the edge of the box.

Phil Barnes was soon called into action two minutes later, brilliantly saving Whalley’s point black effort.

Whalley was causing the early problems for the Trinity defence, linking well with Wes Baynes before the Trinity defence cleared.

Trinity were still in it though and went close through Scunthorpe loanee Curtis Bateson but his header was comfortable for Ryan Young to collect in the Bucks’ goal.

On 18 minutes the home side eventually took the lead with Grogan reacting quickest after Neill Byrne’s effort came back off the post to give Liam Watson’s side one hand on the title.

Chances kept on coming for the Bucks with Tony Gray and Farrell going close before Barnes again pulled off a great save, denying Matty McGinn doubling the home side’s lead on the half hour.

Soon after the break Clancy made it 2-0 after the midfielder was brought down in the area.

He picked himself up and beat Barnes from 12-yards to make the lead a commanding one.

As the atmosphere built, Whalley again terrorized the Trinity backline, shooting over from 18 yards.

Trinity had their chances though and Johnathon Margetts almost added to his impressive goal record for the Blues.

However, despite his fine form he could only blaze over from 10-yards when one-on-one with Young.

Whalley rounded off proceedings with a third goal in the final minute to spark wild celebrations amongst the home fans as they clinched promotion and the title with North Ferriby only managing a draw with Brackley.

AFC Telford United: Young, Baynes, McGinn, Byrne, Grand, Grogan, Whalley, Moogan (Barnett ’58), Farrell (Owens ’80), Gray (Booth ’87), Clancy. Not used: Pryce, Benjamin.

Gainsborough Trinity: Barnes, Roma, Lacey, Roberts, Howe, Young (Leary ’59), Davis (Stamp ’75), Toner, Bateson, Margetts, Davie (Wootton ’65). Not used: Williams, Martin.

Goals: Grogan ’18, Clancy ’53, Whalley ‘90.

Yellows: None.

Attendence: 3,274.