Warning after electric blanket fire

Fire
Fire

FIREFIGHTERS are repeating warnings about electric blanket safety after an elderly couple had a fire in their home.

It is believed the fire in Broom on Sunday started due to an electrical fault in the blanket which had been left switched on.

Watch Manager Eric Bugdol from Rotherham station said: “Electric blankets cause hundreds of fires every year so it’s extremely important that you have them safety checked on a regular basis and look out for danger signs such as scorch marks or fraying.”

Danger signs for blankets include fraying, scorch marks, exposed elements, creasing or folding, tie tapes damaged or missing, worn flex and loose connections.