Notts: Hundreds have say on council budget cuts

County Hall at Trent Bridge
County Hall at Trent Bridge
0
Have your say

More than 1,200 people have responded to a consultation to help Notts County Council save £154 milion.

The council launched its budget consultation on 2nd September asking residents where its priorities should be, where savings can be made and which services should be protected.

Over the next three years, the council must find an estimated £154 million in savings to public services already depleted by three years of austerity and spiralling demand for support and care services for vulnerable adults and children.

So far, 1,270 people have had their say on what the council’s priorities should be, where savings can be made and which services should be protected.

In Bassetlaw, 132 people - 11 per cent of reponses - have taken part in consultation.

Nearly 80 per cent of respondents to the consultation have said they feel more informed about the financial challenges facing the council after taking part.

The council’s detailed budget proposals will be published at 5pm on Tuesday 5th November and be open for consultation from 13th November to 17th January.

The detailed proposals are likely to include significant changes to specific council services, with many being reduced, delivered in a different way, or stopped all together.

Councillor Alan Rhodes, leader of Notts County Council, said: “After years of austerity, the last thing people want to hear is that there is going to be more reductions in council services, but it is important that we are upfront and honest with people about the position we’ve been put in by the unrelanting central Government cuts to our funding.”

“We need to ensure the cuts we have to make are introduced with the minimum possible impact on the most vulnerable people in our communities and that they reflect our intention to deliver fairness in difficult times.”

“The Budget Challenge aims to involve all our residents and businesses through every step of this process.”

“To have more than 1,200 responses to our Budget Challenge before the detailed proposals have been finalised is an excellent response.”

“It speaks volumes about how highly people value their services and they understand the difficult decisions facing us in the months to come.”

The Budget Challenge closes on 17th January 2014.

All views offered will be taken into consideration before the final budget is considered by full council on 27th February 2014.

People can get the latest informaiton and reigster their views at www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/budget or join the debate at Facebook/Nottinghamshire and Twitter @nottscc using the hashtag #NottsBudget

If you are not online you can still tell the council what you think by calling the customer service centre on 0300 500 80 80, completing a comment card available in all Notts County Council libraries, requesting a copy of the Budget Challenge booklet by calling 0300 500 80 80 or writing to the Freepost address.