Mum’s fury after toddler escapes serious injury in near miss with car on Worksop high street

Emma Gunn with her son Zackery, three, who nearly got hit by a car on Bridge Place, Worksop.

Emma Gunn with her son Zackery, three, who nearly got hit by a car on Bridge Place, Worksop.

1
Have your say

An outraged mother is calling for an end to vehicles travelling up and down Worksop high street after her two-year-old son escaped serious injury when a car almost ran into him.

Emma Gunn was out shopping on Bridge Place in Worksop town centre with her two-year-old son Zachary on Monday August 3 at around 2.30pm when the incident happened.

The tot had gone to put an empty bottle in the bin near B&M Bargains when Emma was alarmed to see a white car moving into his path.

Emma, who also has a five-year-old daughter, said: “I screamed in panic and thankfully the driver of the car performed an emergency stop.

“I couldn’t see if Zachary had been knocked down but when I ran over to him his lip was bleeding and he was shaken up.

Emma claims that the driver of the car, who is understood to be male, promptly drove off.

She said she didn’t report the incident to the police because she wasn’t certain if Zachary had been hit and wasn’t sure if the incident warranted a police call.

Emma added: “I’m not saying it’s the driver’s fault as Zachary is so small and the driver might not have spotted him, it’s easily done.

“But with the school holidays in full swing, surely other children and also elderly residents are in danger when out and about in town.

“In my opinion, only vehicles with disabled badges should be allowed to drive up and down our busy high street.How much longer will this go on before someone is seriously injured or killed?”

Coun Alan Rhodes, leader of Nott County Council said: “We were saddened to hear about the accident involving the little boy on Bridge Place this week and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

“We have been trying to find a solution to parking issues in the pedestrianised areas in Worksop town centre to meet the sometimes conflicting demands of shoppers, motorists, people with disabilities and businesses.

“I am pleased to report that work will start on a major programme of improvements on 7 September and will be up-and running by the end of November this year, which will provide better and safer access for everyone and improve the town centre experience for shoppers.”