DCSIMG

UPDATE: Worksop: Mother ‘relieved’ after her six children escape house fire on Furnival Street

editorial image

editorial image

 

A Worksop mother has expressed her ‘relief’ at getting her six children to safety after a rabbit hutch fire spread to the house.

Lian Talbot, of Furnival Street, had just gone to bed on Sunday 6th July when the blaze ripped through the rear of the family home.

Husband Rodney, oldest son Jonathan, 21, Jessica, 20, Oliver 18, Bethany, 12, Harvey, 9, and Bailey, 6, were also in the council property.

“I had been in bed about 15 minutes,” Lian said.

“Oliver had gone to get something to eat and then he shouted that the rabbit hutch was on fire and said to call 999.”

“I looked out the window and saw a bright flame.”

“My main priority was to get my kids downstairs and out of the house.”

“All my children are aware of fire safety and they have been taught that they are not to tackle the fire themselves.”

“We all managed to escape out of the front door and onto the front garden, it was such a relief to get out.”

The hutch was located in the rear garden, a small distance from the back door and had Bailey’s pet rabbit ‘T-Rex’ inside.

Lian, who has lived in the house for nine years, added: “The rabbit is a bit burnt, I think the fire created a hole in the hutch and it must have got out that way.”

“Bailey got it on 1st April for his birthday.”

“Luckily when I posted what had happened on Facebook somebody has kindly donated a rabbit hutch.”

The flames from the double-tier hutch also spread to the house next door, belonging to Sandra and Philip Jenkins, with damage inflicted to the upstairs windows, guttering and back door.

The mother of one said: “I was in bed last night when our three fire alarms went off.”

“I could see the smoke through the curtains and went to get my daughter Jazmin, who is eight.”

“Jazmin was a bit scared and quite upset.”

“We are just waiting for the council to come round now.”

Philip said: “I came downstairs to see if anything was on fire in the kitchen.”

“The flames were coming right up at the side of the house.”

Two appliances from Worksop Fire Station attended the scene and police officers stayed with the family overnight.

No injuries were sustained and nobody was taken to hospital.

Notts Fire are continuing to investigate.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page