A MOTHER and son who narrowly escaped death after a fire ripped through their Kiveton home have thanked the crew that saved their lives.
Jane and Matthew Chapman were rescued from the blaze in Ash Grove on 26th July with just moment to spare.
Jane, 33, was woken by her smoke alarms and quickly took her son Matthew, nine, into her bedroom while calling emergency services.
During a frantic 999 call, Jane pleaded with emergency services to send firefighters quickly as Matthew was struggling to breathe.
Neighbours tried to resuce the pair but were prevented by the heat and thick wall of smoke.
Jane told the Dinnington Guardian that she was at the verge of persuading her son to jump from the window when firefighters from Aston Park fire station arrived.
They rescued the pair, who were then taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Neither suffered any serious injury and once they were over their ordeal Jane and Matthew were keen to thank their rescuers in person.
Bosses at South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue arranged the special visit which saw Matthew shown around a fire engine and try his hand at using a hose.
Jane’s daughter Melissa, 18, who was staying with her grandparents when the fire broke out, also attended.
Jane, who urged people to have smoke alarms fitted in their homes, said if Aston firefighters had not got there within minutes, they would probably would not have survived the fire..
She added: “We owe them our lives.”
“I really can’t thank them enough for everything they have done.”
“I wanted to meet them so that me and Matthew could both say thank you in person.”
Watch manager Mark Jones said it was great to see the pair.
He added: “It’s very rare that we get to meet the people we rescue, so it was great for us all to welcome Jane and Matthew to the fire station, and to see them both looking fit and healthy.”
“The last time we saw them in the minutes after the fire they were obviously very confused due to all the smoke they’d inhaled.”
“Had we got to their house a few minutes later then I’m not sure they’d be standing here today.”
“It’s a credit to the fire crews and the control operator that this incident ended so successfully.”
A 41-year-old Sheffield man has been arrested and bailed in connection with the fire.