THE Bishop of Doncaster will remember war heroes in Woodsetts on Sunday.
Peter Burrows will be at St George’s Church to bless a new cross on the village war memorial.
He will also bless the restored WWI plaque as well as a new one made to contain the names of those who died in WWII and more recently in Afghanistan.
Among the names will be Private Gavin Elliott from Woodsetts who was killed in Afghanistan in 2009.
Bishop Burrows said: “The parish has done a fantastic job in restoring the porch which stands as a remembrance to those who have lost their lives in the two great wars and in recent fields of conflict in Afghanistan.”
“This is an important memorial for the whole community and the church itself stands as a Christian witness and presence to local people.”
“I look forward to sharing in the celebration and dedication and congratulate all those who have worked so hard and contributed financially to this project.”
The war memorial in the village is in the form of a porch and was erected shortly after WWI. In recent years the lettering on the plaque has become almost illegible.
The new cross will be place on top of the porch and a set of new doors, with a stained glass image of poppies on, have also been installed.
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west