A Maltby toddler died in his sleep after rapidly developing pneumonia two days before Christmas 2011, an inquest heard.
Leighton JJ Evernden was just six-months-old when he died at the family home on Burns Road on 23rd December 2011.
The inquest heard Leighton was born on 24th June 2011 and was a ‘happy and healthy’ baby.
In a statement Leighton’s mum Stacey Ross said he had signs of a cold in the days before his death. She had stopped giving him calpol as he did not appear unwell.
At 6pm on 22nd December she took Leighton to a Christmas party, with her two daughters and Leighton’s dad John Evernden.
“He slept during the party and woke at around 8pm,” she said.
He went back to sleep and they left when the party finished at 9.30pm to walk home.
The inquest heard on arriving home Mr Evernden was arrested after a row with his landlord.
Miss Ross put her son into his moses basket at around midnight.
“I must have fallen asleep on the settee and woke at 6.30am,” she said.
When she went to check on Leighton he wasn’t breathing. She tried CPR and raised the alarm with a neightbour.
Paramedics were called but were unable to resusitate him. He was taken to Rotherham Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Rotherham Coroner Nicola Mundy said: “A chest infection was found during post mortem and this is the most likely cause of death as opposed to suffocation.
She recorded a verdict of natural causes.
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 40 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North