A disabled Worksop man has accused A1 Housing of age discrimination over a six-month row to find suitable housing for his needs.
Paul Staerck has epilepsy and two brain tumours and frequently has seizures, but says he cannot bid on suitable council properties - despite medical advice urging he is re-homed.
The 51-year-old, of Gateford Road, is now appealing to be classed as a ‘Band A’ resident - meaning he can apply for specially-adapted properties normally open to people over 60 only.
He said it’s essential he lives no more than 20 minutes from Bassetlaw Hospital becauseof his seizures and that he’s allowed to keep his beloved dog Max in his new home.
“I think this is disgusting. I have written medical evidence saying I urgently need re-homing, yet because I am not 60 I can’t apply,” he said.
“It’s like my disability and needs don’t come into it - it’s age discrimination.”
Mr Staerck added that his dog Max is more than a companion to him and pleaded with the council to allow him to bid on properties where pets are allowed.
“If he goes, I go. He is the reason I get up in the morning and I don’t know how I will cope if I don’t have him. He has alerted the neighbours when I have a seizure - I wouldn’t be without him,” he said.
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
- Running and walking both good for your heart
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west