A GAINSBOROUGH man has been given a suspended jail sentence after stabbing another man during a confrontation in the early hours of the morning.
Stuart McGhie, 42, of Balfour Street, armed himself with a kitchen knife after being told that a group of men were making threats outside his home.
Jonathon Dee, prosecuting, said there was a confrontation in McGhie’s driveway.
McGhie produced the knife in response to a threat that he was about to be killed. He then told the men to go away. One of them swung a punch and he responded by stabbing him in the chest. The victim suffered a deep cut which penetrated his left lung. He tried to make his way back to his own home but found himself in difficulties and was taken to hospital.
McGhie admitted unlawful wounding on 3rd December 2011. He was given a nine month jail sentence suspended for a year and ordered to perform 60 hours of unpaid work.
Judge Michael Heath , passing sentence, told McGhie “You didn’t deliberately go to stab him and the injury was not life-threatening.”
Michael Cranmer-Brown, defending, said: “He is a working, family man who wants to put all this behind him.”
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former Saxilby home is raided
- Gainsborough paedophile with animal porn placed on sex register
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Villagers’ shock at terror suspect Saxilby link
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Help For Heroes reaction to brutal killing of soldier in London
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Suspected murderer’s former home on Hotchkin Avenue in Saxilby is raided
- Teens praised for ‘hard work and dedication’
- WOOLWICH TERROR ATTACK: Police warning over online comments
- Police appeal after 200-year-old flagons stolen
- Inside YOUR Gainsborough Standard this week (Thursday 11th April)
- Gainsborough MP, close friend of Margaret Thatcher, pays tribute to former Prime Minister
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Gainsborough
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: South west